Starting Salary Range: $15.65-$21.51; commensurate with experience
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: Mon-Fri 8:30-5
Exempt Status: Salaried Non-exmt
Location: 04-MD:School of Medicine Campus
Department name: 10003003-SOM Oph Retina Service
Personnel area: School of Medicine
Multi-disciplinary lab seeks individual to carry out research into use of various ocular devices to be used for retinal treatment and studies.
- Aiding in performing and performing various retina model ophthalmic surgeries in mice, preparing and dosing animals in drug studies/device implementation, measuring vision by OKT, ERG, fundus photographs, OCT, using injectable and/or gas anesthetics in accordance with USDA and AALAC. Manage cigarette smoke chamber. Conducting animal health checks.
- Prepare and carry out perfusion fixation, with micro-dissection of ocular and/or brain tissues.
- Histological methods performed in this position include cryopreservation and epoxy preparation (embedding and sectioning) and subsequent immunohistochemical, electron microscopy, and/or morphologic studies of animal and human donor tissues.
- Confocal microscopy of immunohistochemical studies and/or 2 photon imaging of explanted mouse or human ocular tissues. Image capture and data analysis for morphologic study using metamorph and imageJ software, developing new algorithms as needed
- Cell culture maintenance including iPS and ES stem cells
- Perform routine molecular biology techniques including RNA, DNA, and protein extraction, PCR, RT-qPCR, transient transfections for loss and gain of function studies, ELISA, immunoprecipitation, and immunoblot analysis
- Execute proper disposal of biohazardous materials, maintain laboratory conditions and other duties as assigned by lab manager
Bachelor's degree in biology, chemistry or related field. One (1) year laboratory experience performing relevant techniques. Master's degree, with related graduate research, may substitute for experience to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula.
JHU Equivalency Formula: 30 undergraduate degree credits (semester hours) or 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience. Additional related experience may substitute for required education on the same basis. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college course work may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job.
At least 6 months prior experience in a comparable lab is desired.
Special knowledge, skills, and abilities:
Histology, animal surgery and micro-dissection, confocal microscopy desired.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at email@example.com. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information: