The Department of Neurosurgery is seeking a Nurse Practitioner (NP). The Nurse Practitioner will be responsible for performing many patient-oriented tasks such as interviewing patients, taking medical histories, performing physical examinations, ordering laboratory tests, coordinating the continuum of care, providing education to patients and significant others, conducting clinic sessions, and prescribing appropriate treatments. May participates in research initiatives.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Working with the attending, performs the functions of a mid-level provider to coordinate the care of patients and facilitate efficient and effective movement through the health care system.
- Screens and interviews patients, takes and records patient histories, and consults with physicians and other health care providers using an interdisciplinary approach to recommend a plan of care.
- Prescribes medications to patients as indicated. Provides consult services for inpatients and outpatients to determine need for intervention and discusses the results of consult with the attending Internist to determine optimal patient care path. Provides follow up patient care as needed in clinic. Provides counseling and instruction to patients and their significant others regarding health conditions, therapies, and procedures.
- May make decisions regarding data gathering and appropriate management and treatment of patients being seen for the initial evaluation of a problem, or the follow-up evaluation of a previously diagnosed and stabilized condition. Initiates requests for laboratory studies and diagnostic and therapeutic procedures.
- Participates in the coordination of research projects including patient enrollment and manages the associated documentation. Develops policies and procedures as needed to facilitate optimal patient care and functions as a liaison to nursing.
- Master's degree in nursing; Registered Nurse license and Certified as a Nurse Practitioner.
- Must be licensed as NP in State of Maryland or other state where practicing.
- Six months of previous experience required.
- Current CPR certification required.
- Must maintain current licensure and certification during duration of employment.
- Completion of the JHH credentialing process is required prior to start date.
Additional Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proficient in use of EPIC system.
- Requires the analytical skills to collect information from diverse sources, apply professional principles in performing various analyses, and summarize the information and data in order to solve problems or design relatively complex systems and programs that cross department/divisional lines.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing and provide empathy in difficult interpersonal situations.
- Sitting, standing and walking for extended period.
- Reaching by extending hand(s) or arm(s) in any direction.
- Finger dexterity required to manipulate objects with fingers rather than with whole hand(s) or arm(s).
- Ability to move standard equipment through a hospital or clinical environment.
Requisition # 10245
Starting Salary Range: Competitive; Commensurate with experience
Status: Full Time/Exempt; Monday – Friday 8:30am – 5:00pm
School/Division: School of Medicine
Location: School of Medicine – East Baltimore Campus
Location State: MD
Resume Required for Application: Yes
Area of Interest: Clinical / Medical
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information: