Business Services Analyst
Starting Salary Range: $57,544.32 - $79,044.48
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: M- F 37.5hrs/week
Employee subgroup: Salaried Exmpt
Location: 04-MD:School of Medicine Campus
Department name: 10003114-SOM PMR Physical Med and Rehabilitation
Personnel area: School of Medicine
Duties include database management and data analysis and reporting for the Department of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation (PM&R) for JHH & JHU on various projects and proposals. This position reports to the PM&R Assistant Administrator of Finance and is responsible for performing research and analysis in support of Johns Hopkins Medicine and the department.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
Database and Information Management:
Develops reports for PM&R and its divisions. Responsible for using computer query language and relational databases to manipulate and create patient/physician information reports. Consistently provides and updates the following data/ information from various databases: reports detailing inpatient (SMS, EIS, HDM) admissions, reports detailing outpatient (EPIC) visits, required compliance reports, quarterly/monthly reports. Other ad hoc reports will be developed and maintained as needed. Determines when additional reports or statistical analysis is needed. Completes unstructured data analysis; database and information management projects as needed. All reports and projects will be submitted to the department within the timeframe agreed on. Maintain longitudinal data of program performance and monitor for trends. Works with Departmental management team & service line directors to address and resolve data discrepancies. Assists with the interpretation and analysis of the data from various reports. Communicates trends and statistical findings with management.
Develops/assists development of comprehensive project action plan for identified opportunity - established concrete project goals, objectives and outcomes as needed, secures leadership support and endorsement for the project, determines a project time line to accomplish identified goals that: has a realistic yet challenging milestones and considers organizational needs and readiness includes an implementation plan, identifies resources necessary to carry out the project, and works with a team of project participants. Implements/assists implementation of projects action plan - utilizes skills of communication, negotiation and problem solving to effectively execute identified steps of implementation, monitors progress towards outcomes and modifies action plan accordingly, plans interventions as necessary to maintain time line, recognizes potential for integration / collaboration. Evaluates project outcomes - collects relevant data to determine efficiency of project, makes and implements recommendations to improve project outcomes or processes, develops written summary reports by making recommendations to the leadership based on the analyst of the data. Evaluates project outcomes - collects relevant data to determine efficiency of project, makes and implements recommendations to improve project outcomes or processes, develops written summary reports by making recommendations to the leadership based on the analyst of the data. Leads, facilitates, or supports meetings and committees as appropriate. Develops written summary reports by making recommendations to the leadership based on the analyst of the data. Completes and distributes meeting minutes as needed in a timely manner. Completes any delegated assignments in a timely manner.
Contributes to measurable improvements in quality satisfaction, utilizes service, cost-effectiveness, and revenue enhancement by providing data analysis and technical support - utilizes creative approaches in discussing Performance Improvement and strategies. Provides project management support to all customers with whom he/she works - prepares initial work plans for every group, sets agendas for all meetings, follow-ups between meetings to move each project to a conclusion as identified by work plans and documents. Some of these projects address patient flow, length of stay, utilization of services & supplies. Assumes a role as a team member, technical resource and process facilitator on cross-entity performance improvement and project teams – provides analysis and makes recommendations as needed based on the data that is being reviewed and contributes to the development of ideas as well.
Communicates results of projects in written and/or verbal presentation verbal presentation - provides project status or summary recommendations and final impact to the project. Some of the projects that will be worked on will be: Pro Fee and Hosptial billing process; program expansion projects, development of dashboard and key performance monitoring tools, create service line P & Ls and monitor for performance. In collaboration with Departmental Finance leadership, develops written presentation materials which addresses increase in revenue plans to the budget; decreasing costs in the department, as well as cost saving plans. Creates & prepares in the development of presentations via presentation software. Makes recommendations to leadership based on the raw data that is analyzed and develops presentations.
Includes a complete evaluation of the following components as appropriate to the project: cost, quality, satisfaction, service, and utilization. Identify key stakeholders and expert necessary to complete projects. Collects data regarding current practices and processes through interview, observations and retrospective reviews. Conducts financial analysis of existing data to determine feasibility of opportunity within established timeframe. This description is a general statement of required duties and responsibilities performed on a regular and continuous basis. It does not exclude other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Minimum of three years of professional experience in health care management, finance or information systems is required.
- Master’s Degree may be substituted for one year of work experience to the extent permitted by JHU’s equivalency formula.
* JHU Equivalency Formula: 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college course work may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job. *
- Master’s degree preferred.
- A professional level of knowledge of healthcare data information management in health care administration/policy, business administration, or a related field as well as specialized training in information technology or database management strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of SAP strongly preferred.
- Proficiency in the use of MS Office; knowledge of JHU policies, procedures, and administrative/financial systems preferred.
- Previous work experience in administration at a higher education institution with a strong customer service orientation preferred.
Special Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to analyze, compile, manipulate, and interpret patient /physician data.
- Able to present and format data and technical information for various end users.
- Able to make detailed recommendations for further data analysis.
- Able to communicate effectively with all levels of staff and management including, JHM personnel, department heads, vendors, and consultants.
- Demonstrated skills working and responding to various customer requests for data and information.
- Solid project management skills. Requires the ability to deliver end user reports and information within established timeframes.
- Ability to make independent judgments and to act on decisions on a daily basis.
- Ability to work for long periods of time without direction.
- Ability to prioritize own work and work of staff as needed.
- Ability to work with flexibility on several tasks simultaneously and to meet various concurrent deadlines.
- Very strong organizational skills, analytical and problem solving abilities, and attention to detail.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information
School of Medicine - East Baltimore Campus