Starting Salary Range: $14.00-$19.25; commensurate with experience
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: Mon-Fri 8:30-5
Exempt Status: Salaried Non-exmt
Location: 04-MD:School of Medicine Campus
Department name: 10002969-SOM Oph Wilmer Vision Services
Personnel area: School of Medicine
The Optician will train under the Lead Optician, oversee the daily duties, and be able to work independently.
- Assisting patients/customer with the selection of frames, lenses and lens treatments in a professional, ethical and confidential manner. Must be able to learn to fit all types of eyewear including progressive multi-focal lenses.
- Upon completing a sale the optician is also responsible for ordering the lenses from the lab and filing any insurance claims. Final inspection of all lab work must be done by this person prior to notifying the patient that their order is ready.
- Inspecting the locations for compliance w/ standard operation procedures of The Wilmer optical Services and Johns Hopkins University.
- Returning and tracking returns for store inventory (frames, contact, accessories, ECT.) Large orders must go thru the Optical Supervisor, & Operations Manager.
- Meeting monthly with the Lead optician
- Attending required training and mandatory meetings
- Completing training program to have a general knowledge of:
- Adjusting and repairing frames. Prepare and submit all daily sales reports and deposits to Wilmer Administration with in a timely fashion. Process all invoices for payment through Wilmer administration. Maintaining courier bag on a daily bases. They are also responsible for the appearance of their location and or the location they are floating to. Have a further understanding that you may be assigned other duties not contained herein.
High School/GED required. One (1) year of retail experience required.
ABO certification is strongly preferred.
Technical qualifications or specialized certifications:
ABO certification is required after two years of service. Must maintain certification throughout duration of employment.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at email@example.com. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information
School of Medicine - East Baltimore Campus