Senior Technical Support Analyst
Provides technical support to members of Campus Safety and Security in all matters pertaining to network, alarm, virtual patrol and communications issues. Assists clients experiencing procedural or operating difficulty with the use of desktop computing equipment, applications, products, or services. Provides technical support security personnel by investigating and resolving computer hardware and software problems, and directly resolving Level 1 and Level 2 issues.
Specific duties & responsibilities:
- Provides technical support to members of Campus Safety and Security in the specification, procurement, installation and maintenance of computers and peripheral hardware. Deliver, move, and physically install all computing devices and related software including peripherals, operating systems, standard software and vendor software by following documented standards and procedures to provide equipment and service to the customers.
- Provides first and second tier troubleshooting of O/S and program problems.
- Installs network hardware, software, cabling and cameras in the Remington building.
- Administers and maintains the physical security network for the Homewood campus. Keep track of network locations. Work with IT to troubleshoot and repair basic network malfunctions.
- Coordinates with IT for network issues/expansion/software upgrades for all security related devices.
- Maintains the Homewood Security Enterprise Computing domain (HSEC).
- Maintains Campus Safety and Security radio and telephonic recorder systems for critical communications.
- Research equipment, design changes and upgrades, software and process improvements, new or advanced technology, and changes to applicable policies and standards. Participates in the request for proposal (RFP) process for new equipment and software.
- Administers and provides support for CCTV systems at all JHU campuses.
- Trains the investigative personnel in use of CCTV technology for investigative purposes.
- Ensures that on-site and off-site backups of critical data are performed according to standards of University and department policies and requirements.
- Ensures proper operation of emergency telephones and associated equipment through periodic tests and inspections of performance reports.
- Reviews and advises concerning equipment parameters, positioning, and deployment of camera and support equipment and software.
- Administers and provides support for the alarm monitoring system. This includes providing backend support, adding and removing system users, reprograming system when necessary, etc.
- Administers and provides support for security records management for the JH enterprise. Provides support for the ITrak system. This includes adding and removing users, creating custom forms, in collaboration with Administrative Lieutenant, assigns permissions to users
- Coordinates all security vendor work on campus. Escort and monitor vendor representative for security equipment repairs and instillations.
- Keep current on supported technology to maintain knowledgebase and skills.
- Perform other such duties as may, from time to time, be necessary.
- Works under the technical supervision of the Campus Safety and Security Manager regarding the technical, network, telecommunications, and alarm issues.
Minimum qualifications (mandatory):
- Two years college coursework.
- Two years of related experience, including some help desk experience
- Additional education may substitute for required experience and additional related experience may substitute for required education, to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula.
- JHU Equivalency Formula: 30 undergraduate degree credits (semester hours) or 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience. Additional related experience may substitute for required education on the same basis.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, electrical engineering or related field preferred..
- Special knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Network management, Telecommunications Management, Radio Communications, CCTV.
- Possess a valid Maryland Driver's license. Some operation of a motor vehicle is required.
- Technical qualifications or specialized certifications:
- Experience with Public Safety Communication Systems (Radio, Telephony Recording/Logging, SQL database management, Computer Aided Dispatch/Records Management) a plus.
Any specific physical requirements for the job:
Successfully complete a physical/health screening examination by the Office Occupational Health and Safety, which includes a drug screen. Use of both hands is a requirement because of the need to carry equipment and to complete installation and repairs of equipment. Ability to lift and maneuver equipment up to 40 pounds in weight required.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information