The Department of Oncology is searching for a full time Science Writer to support the mission of the Department by providing complex project support to the Deputy Director including assistance with writing papers, reviews, grants, translational research protocols and important correspondence. This person will deal regularly with highly sensitive, privileged and confidential subject matter.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work on special research projects including researching topics and writing reviews, papers, and grants. Assists with agenda and scientific concept generation for meetings. Provides minutes and notes from meeting.
- Travels with Director to national meetings.
- Assists the Deputy Director with writing and editing of announcements, letters, presentations, etc.
- Interface with key leadership and leadership offices across the university.
- Edits presentations on behalf of the Director.
- Maintains a professional behavior at all times.
- Assist with publication submissions, pubmed, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree in biology or other scientific area and a minimum of one year of medical and/or scientific writing experience is required. Knowledge in a medical setting sufficient to attain the skills required.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience and knowledge in a medical setting sufficient to attain the skills is desired.
- Special Knowledge, Skills, or Abilities / Competencies:
- Excellent communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills required. Ability to express ideas clearly and logically and undertake independent problem solving.
- Strong writing, editing, and presentation skills. Specific communications skills, such as Expertise in SharePoint, PowerPoint and Excel for presentations and analyses. Knowledge of social media monitoring and analytics tools.
- Ability to interact with diverse groups of people within the institution and from outside agencies.
- Ability to organize and manage multiple competing priorities and to meet deadlines.
- Knowledge of approaches and methods for performance improvement.
- Possesses strong networking skills to work with outside collaborators, agencies, advocacy groups, and other related organizations
- Ability to successfully problem-solve challenges as they arise.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at email@example.com. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information