CO Medical Assistant
2 days left
- Full Time
Starting Salary Range: $11.95 - $16.44
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: M-f, 8 to 4:30
Employee subgroup: Salaried Non-exmt
Location: 6420 Rockledge Dr 4920 - Bethesda, MD
Department name: 10003028-SOM Oto Clinic
Personnel area: School of Medicine
Within the department Otolaryngology, the Medical Assistant will participate in the care of the patient under the direct supervision of the Physician and in collaboration with the healthcare team.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Collect patient information and assessment data.
- Obtain and record patient’s vital signs: temperature, pulse, respirations, blood pressure, weight and height.
- Report assessment findings to practitioner and records on appropriate documentation forms in a timely manner.
- Perform chart review prior to clinic visit to obtain historical data.
- Monitor patient status recognizing and reporting abnormal findings or changes in condition. Organize patient care activities based on assessment findings.
- Maintain and use principles of aseptic techniques and infection control when performing clinical duties and tasks.
- Under clinical supervision, perform delegated procedures common to the specialty area in a safe, effective, and efficient manner according to Clinical Practice Policy and Procedures.
- Assist practitioner in identified patient procedures/treatments/examinations, (preparation, positioning, supplies, equipment).
- Proactively problem-solve and identify solutions to barriers to safety.
- Appropriately obtain and manage specimens including labeling, form completion, transport to laboratories, and log maintenance.
- Recognize emergency situations and implement emergency procedures according to clinic guidelines.
- Administer first aid, CPR, and maintain emergency equipment and supplies.
- Provide appropriate patient education, health information materials and community resources lists as directed; maintain educational supplies.
- Identify patient’s need for additional information, and refer to appropriate healthcare resources. Complete all relevant tasks in regards to prescription refills; fax pharmacies, follow up with patient and pharmacies.
- Perform other duties as required.
High School Diploma or GED. Certification/Registration as a Medical Assistant (e.g. CMA, AAMA, RMA, AMT, NAHP). Current CPR certification. Must maintain MA and CPR certification/registration during duration of employment in this position.
Technical qualifications or specialized certifications
Certification/Registration as a Medical Assistant (e.g. CMA, AAMA, RMA, AMT, NAHP). Current CPR certification.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at email@example.com. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information
School of Medicine - East Baltimore Campus