English Language Specialist
Qatar University Profile:
Qatar University is the premier national institution of higher education with a mission to produce well-rounded graduates with academic knowledge of quality and excellence coupled with a keen spirit of volunteerism and civic responsibility. This is underpinned by committed leadership and an experienced and motivated faculty and staff body.
Student Affairs contributes to the educational mission of Qatar University by providing innovative opportunities, quality programs, and efficient services that enrich the students’ learning experience and their personal development.
Qatar University was founded in 1973 and is a member of the Arab Universities Federation and the International Federation of Universities. Qatar University offers Foundation programs as well as Undergraduate and Graduate degree programs to over 8,000 enrolled students. Please visit the QU website (www.qu.edu.qa) to learn more about our degree programs, our research, university facilities, and campus life.
Duties & Responsibilities
Tutors English courses; teaches/ conducts workshops on listening/speaking/reading/grammar skills; creates new programs to support language acquisition and development; develops language supportresources.
Provides supplemental English sessions to individual students and groups of students of all levels and disciplines.
Teaches and conducts workshops and deliver classroom presentations on remedial topics in English listening, reading,speaking, and grammar skills.
Creates new, targeted programs to support students with low levels of English language proficiency
Creates new, and identifies/ revises existing, paper and electronic language skills resources for students.
Tracks individual students’ progress and regularly communicates with faculty on student language needs. Maintains individual student files.
Recruits, supervises, and trains new qualified peer tutors.
Schedules, oversees, and evaluates peer-tutoring staff.
Refers students to other campus support services such as the Academic Support Unit, the Student Counselling Center,Library, etc., when appropriate.
Participates in committees designated with specific tasks such as event planning and updating the e-newsletter and social media outlets.
Participates in New Student Orientation and College orientation sessions
Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in English,TESOL, or related field. Master’s degree is strongly preferred.
Two or more years of recent experience in teaching and/or tutoring English is required. A high level of proficiency in English as well as near-native (English)fluency is required. Strong interpersonal skills are also necessary.
Ability to work flexible hours and respond to student needs and faculty inquiries in a professional and timely manner General knowledge of QU’s undergraduate language curriculum and a genuine interest in helping students is highly required.
Ability to tutor a variety of Foundation and undergraduate English Language courses required.
Strong computer and information technology skills.
Excellent planning, organizational, and communication skills required.
Bilingual ability in Arabic and English is strongly preferred.
- Curriculum Vitae with cover letter.
- Experience Certificates.
- At least three references including contact numbers and email addresses.
- Current Curriculum Vitae.
- Cover letter.
- Teaching, research, and service philosophy.
- Three referees’ contact information(physical and email addresses as well their telephones contact).
- Copy of highest earned credential(transcript of highest degree if graduated from an institution where coursework was completed. However, if no course work was completed, an copy of certificate letter from the registrar of your highest credential granting institution regarding your highest academic degree).
- Any additional documentation that you feel is relevant to your application.
- Competitive tax-free salary.
- Housing allowance in accordance with HRM Law.
- Annual round trip air tickets for candidate and dependents according to HRM Law.
- Public health care and health insurance to candidate and family members.
- Annual leave in accordance with HRM Law.
- End-of-contract indemnity.
- A three-year renewable contract.
- Salary is commensurate with experience.
- Tax-free salary.
- Furnished accommodation in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual round trip air tickets for faculty member and dependents in accordance with QUHR policies.
- Educational allowance for candidate’s children (eligible candidates only) in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Private health care and health insurance in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual leave in accordance with QU HR policies.
- End-of-contract indemnity.
How To Apply
- Returning Applicant: Please login in QU Recruitment Online website (https://careers.qu.edu.qa) to update/edit your saved profile. Use this profile to apply for this position.
- New Applicant: You need to setup an account with QU Recruitment Online website (https://careers.qu.edu.qa) and complete your personal profile. Once your profile is complete you may use it to apply for an open Position.