Legal Counsel, In-house
BPP is one of Europe’s leading providers of undergraduate and post-graduate degrees, professional qualification courses, professional development courses and published materials for education. We are currently looking for a solicitor to join the legal team, advising BPP’s UK and overseas businesses in all legal and risk related activities. You would be part of a highly supportive and collaborative team and have an immensely varied and interesting role.
BPP is continually exploring exciting new opportunities and markets and seeking at all turns to “challenge the educational status quo”. No two days are the same in the legal team, and we advise on all legal matters relating to BPP’s business (both in the UK and internationally) including: commercial contracts, corporate structuring and governance, regulatory compliance, consumer law matters, intellectual property, data protection, advertising and beyond. The team is involved in strategic projects and deals from their inception and throughout their life cycle.
Qualifications, skills and knowledge required
- Be a qualified solicitor in England and Wales with ideally between 1-2 years post qualification experience; newly qualified solicitors will be considered if they can demonstrate significant, appropriate experience during their training contract.
- Have a can do, positive attitude and be prepared to hit the ground running in a business that is continually evolving.
- Have demonstrable experience in advising on commercial contracts. Experience with tenders, consumer law, data protection law or intellectual property law will be an added advantage.
- Be comfortable answering a wide range of queries on various topics from the business, clients and students via our Legal Inbox.
- Possess exceptional drafting, negotiation, problem-solving, team, communication and client management skills.
- Have strong interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate complex legal concepts into a clear and understandable format both orally and in writing to a multi-disciplinary team.
- Manage their own workload and clients. Be comfortable being one of the faces of BPP in meeting its corporate clients and leading on contracts with those corporate clients including some of the largest companies and accounting and law firms in the world.
- Demonstrate a keen interest in working in-house. Previous in-house experience would be beneficial.
- Be interested in the Education sector, and the regulation governing Higher Education in particular. Whilst experience in Education would be beneficial, it is not essential.