Associate Principal, Learning and Teaching, JCU College
Overview and Objectives
The Associate Principal, Learning and Teaching will provide leadership to promote learning and teaching quality and innovation within the JCU College. Providing support to the Principal, the incumbent will actively pursue University and College goals in learning and teaching, with a focus on Pathway and non-award Professional programs.
- Provide leadership in collaborating with key University stakeholders to develop pathway programs that align with relevant higher education regulatory standards and University requirements;
- Collaborate with the University Academic Lead to develop and implement quality assurance mechanisms and strategies for continuous improvement to ensure parity of standards with those of the University;
- Develop and implement innovative approaches to learning and teaching that support the diversity of students within the College;
- Mentoring and/or arranging mentoring for College staff in relation to best practice in learning and teaching and facilitate processes for peer review of teaching within the College.
- Provide leadership in the development of student learning and welfare support strategies that contribute positively to student engagement, success and retention; In collaboration with the University Academic Lead and JCU Director and Principal, develop governance structures and policy frameworks that promote and monitor rigorous academic quality assurance, with regular reporting to College and University forums; Active engagement with quality indicators for learning and teaching data, including YourJCU Survey, QILT and ISB to engage staff in continuous improvement of learning and teaching. Coordination of Course Performance Review and Distribution of Grades Report and to implement recommendations arising out of audits and reviews (e.g. TEQSA, ESOS, professional accreditation and internationalisation). Foster strong engagement and relationships with key University stakeholders, in collaboration with the University Academic Lead; Undertake academic staff planning and management, in collaboration with the Principal and University Academic Lead, including:
- Supporting College submissions to Divisional Boards of study.
- Recruitment of high quality academic staff;
- Leading, managing and reviewing the performance of academic staff;
- Ensuring staffing practices promote and support excellence in performance;
- Overseeing the professional development of all academic staff, ongoing and casual;
- Embedding annual staff performance planning and reviews of ongoing and casual academic staff.
- Undertake planning and implementation around appropriate spaces for delivery of pathway programs
The academic lead is, ex officio, a member of the Pathways Board of Studies.