Research Associate in Electrical Engineering
The newly-established Khalifa University of Science and Technology combines The Masdar Institute of Science and Technology, Khalifa University of Science, Technology and Research and The Petroleum Institute into one world-class, research-intensive institution, seamlessly integrating research and education to produce world leaders and critical thinkers in applied science and engineering. Khalifa University of Science and Technology endeavors to be a leader among research intensive universities of the 21st century, while catalyzing the growth of Abu Dhabi and the UAE’s rapidly developing knowledge economy.
- This position is for a 3-year research project “Development of adaptive control based on non-parametric auto-tuning for grid-connected converters” funded by Khalifa University of Science and Technology. The objective of this research project is to develop adaptive control for grid connected converters, based on the non-parametric auto-tuning principle.
- The research associate (RA) will focus on modeling of the grid connected converters, closed-loop control of these converters and the development of tuning rules for the PID controllers used in the auto-tuning algorithms.
- Participation in this research project may be transitional towards PhD studies. RA tries their best to acquire the skills necessary to advance their career with guidance from the advisor/post-doctoral fellow. High level of motivation for advancing the research is a must.
- The required skills include, but are not limited to, the ability to present research plans and findings in a convincing style, both in oral and written formats, the ability to assist in master level research works, the ability to establish contacts and network with colleagues pursuing a similar research agenda, the ability to assist in graduate level courses.
- To provide high quality research support and undertake internationally competitive research aimed at publication thereby contributing to the academic and research mission of the University.
- Ability to present research plans and findings in a convincing style, both in oral and written modes of communication.
- Conduct theoretical and experimental research; write research reports; contribute to writing of research papers.
- A Masters degree in Electrical Engineering with specialization is Power Electronics or related field (thesis focused on application to power electronic system will be an added advantage).
- In depth knowledge on modeling of the power converters, power system modeling, closed loop control of grid connected converters, simulation using MATLAB. Exposure to non-linear control, parametric and non-parametric tuning, adaptive controls is an added advantages.
- In-depth knowledge and hands-on experience in generic computational tools, such as, MATLAB, ETAP or similar.
- In-depth knowledge and hands-on experience in programming TEXAS DSP/dSPACE based digital controllers or equivalent.
- The ability to formulate research problems and write scientific papers.
- A high level of personal responsibility, initiative, and ability to work in a project team with minimum guidance.
- The ability to guide UG senior and Master students in relevant topics.
- Excellent inter-personal communication skills.
- Excellent English language skills, spoken and written.
- Experience in hardware with experimental work on power electronic converters (IGBT and SIC MSOFET based),
- Experience in power circuit testing, troubleshooting, and power circuit analysis using high-end instruments.
- Experience in TEXAS DSP or similar DSP systems and/or dSPACE controller or equivalent, programming these controllers
- Experience in design of printed circuit boards, interfacing controller with power circuit, testing and troubleshooting.
How To Apply
You will be required to attach the following:
- Passport-size photograph
- Teaching and Research Statement