Head of Financial Reporting
Ollscoil Mhá Nuad
Maynooth University (National University of Ireland, Maynooth) is the fastest growing university in Ireland with over 11,000 students and outstanding research and scholarship in the sciences, humanities and social sciences. The university is now entering a new and exciting phase of its development, with a new strategic plan centred on further enhancing our academic programmes, providing a distinctive student experience of the highest quality, focusing our research activities on a small number of priority themes, and further internationalising the university.
Head of Financial Reporting
Reporting directly to the Bursar, the Head of Financial Reporting has direct line responsibility for the University’s financial accounting and reporting function and is a member of the Senior Management team responsible for the setting and delivery of the university’s financial strategy. The post holder leads and manages a team of qualified accountants and oversees university financial policies, tax compliance and external financial reporting obligations.
Key accountabilities of the role will be to:
- Deliver the annual audited Consolidated Financial Statements, management letter and financial related internal audit reports to the Audit & Risk Assessment Committee and ultimately Governing Authority in accordance with agreed deadlines;
- Plan and co-ordinate the external audit engagement with the Comptroller & Auditor General and the cycle of internal audits (carried out by an external audit firm);
- Participate in management decision-making for the Finance Office through weekly finance executive meetings;
- Manage and support a team of three qualified accountants and assist in resolving issues to meet agreed objectives and milestones;
- Provide leadership and direction to the accounting team and the finance department on technical accounting treatments of transactions as they arise;
- Monitor the university financial control environment through monthly balance sheet control account review, reconciliation and approval;
- Draft and guide university financial policies through the approval process;
- Monitor and enhance tax compliance controls and oversee tax related decisions to ensure university compliance with all Revenue guidelines and taxes legislation;
- Work closely with the Director of Finance and the Head of Financial Planning to review the monthly management accounts and to ensure actions are being consistently addressed;
- Oversee reporting to external stakeholders including the provision of responses for financial information requests through parliamentary questions, FOI requests and other government departments/regulatory authorities;
- Identify new regulations and standards together with emerging best practice that impacts the university’s reporting obligations;
- Represent the university at Irish Universities Association finance managers group and subgroups where appropriate.
For further details including full comprehensive job description please see the Maynooth University vacancies page at: https://www.maynoothuniversity.ie/human-resources/vacancies