Postdoctoral fellow in Center for Membranes and Advanced Water Technology
The newly-established Khalifa University of Science and Technology combines The Masdar Institute of Science and Technology, Khalifa University of Science, Technology and Research and The Petroleum Institute into one world-class, research-intensive institution, seamlessly integrating research and education to produce world leaders and critical thinkers in applied science and engineering. Khalifa University of Science and Technology endeavors to be a leader among research intensive universities of the 21st century, while catalyzing the growth of Abu Dhabi and the UAE’s rapidly developing knowledge economy.
- To provide high quality research support and undertake internationally competitive research, thereby contributing to the academic and research mission of the University.
- To present research plans and findings in a convincing style, both in oral and written modes of communication.
- To support the research activities of the principal investigators, who are members of the Center for Membrane and Advanced Water Technology, by helping them in executing specific experimental campaigns and occasionally train graduate students on the operation of equipment.
- Acquire the varied skills necessary to advance their career with guidance from the advisor. These skills include, but are not limited to, the ability to present research plans and findings, the ability to understand research group management and supervision of others, and the ability to establish contacts and network with colleagues pursuing a similar research agenda.
- The postdoc will work to support five research projects conducted under the Center for Membrane and Advanced Water Technology (CMAT). In these projects, the postdoc will be directly involved in developing, characterizing and testing novel membranes to enhance flux and reduce fouling in membrane-based water treatment and desalination systems. The postdoc will be involved in planning, procuring, and building the necessary experimental setups to execute these projects. The postdoc will also be supporting the work of 3-5 graduate students who are funded under CMAT by providing them with necessary equipment training, guidance on equipment operational protocols, troubleshooting, and data analysis. He/she will be responsible for making sure the center labs are running properly and that needed chemicals and supplies are procured in a timely manner, that equipment is maintained, and safety protocols are followed.
- A Doctoral degree in a relevant engineering or science major is required. For example, in chemical engineering, material science/engineering, or chemistry. The candidate’s main doctoral thesis subject should be related to the development, characterization and/or testing of membranes and the operation of membrane systems. He/she should have a good record of publication, evidence of research excellence and excellent communication skills.
- The postdoc’s previous research experience should enable him/her to make a strong contribution in the areas of desalination, water and wastewater treatment, and membrane transport phenomena and membrane fouling.
- He/she should also have a good level of training or familiarity in essential membrane-related equipment, such as Microscopy (SEM, ESEM, TEM, UHR-SEM), Material Testing (FTIR-MS, DSC, TGA), Fluorescence microscopy, UV/Vis spectrometer, Contact Angle Measurement, TOC Analyzer, UF/RO/MD testing setups. These equipment and characterization tools will be needed in the research to be conducted under this project.
- Besides his technical competence, the candidate must be an excellent collaborator (most of his research was done in collaboration with other individuals or groups), has an excellent work ethic and has a likeable personality.
How To Apply
You will be required to attach the following:
- Passport-size photograph
- Teaching and Research Statement