Research Engineer in Mechanical and Materials Engineering
The newly-established Khalifa University of Science and Technology combines The Masdar Institute of Science and Technology, Khalifa University of Science, Technology and Research and The Petroleum Institute into one world-class, research-intensive institution, seamlessly integrating research and education to produce world leaders and critical thinkers in applied science and engineering. Khalifa University of Science and Technology endeavors to be a leader among research intensive universities of the 21st century, while catalyzing the growth of Abu Dhabi and the UAE’s rapidly developing knowledge economy.
- To provide high quality research and support relevant to membrane desalination and processed water-oil separation project EX2016-000022/8434000156 that externally funded by ADNOC. This job entails but not limited to the followings:
- Performance assessment and testing of the fabricated membrane in actual system and in comparison with those available commercially.
- Refinery water sampling and water analysis
- Setting up performance assessment experiments on the flux and other flow metrics such as thermal efficiency, polarization temperature coefficient, heat transfer mechanisms.
- S/he must have strong academic background in the thermal fluid area and some experience in numerical modeling and mathematical skill in setting up thermally driven flow and flow within porous media. Some experience in setting up experimental validation using data acquisition, and calibrating measuring instruments such as thermocouples, mass flowmeter and good data processing as well as the design experiments is required. Mechanical or Energy engineering MS degree or equivalent is necessary for this position.
- Excel and contribute to the academic and research mission of KUST and enriching the local industrial and academic collaboration. Conduct an internationally competitive research aimed at high impact publication in the area of water desalination and water-oil separation.
- Respond to the deliverables of the funded water desalination and oil-water separation project using membrane technology for ADNOC refining research center.
- Develop quantitative understanding for the different membrane parameters and flow conditions and exemplified that in a validated high-fidelity muti-physics numerical simulations.
- Develop a portable small scale unit that used for model validation and pilot scale feasibility studies.
- Coordinate with the PI and project sponsors on several tasks that involves:
- Water Samplings and testing
- System setup and performance assessment of DCMD
- Technical discussion, their human capacity development through training and workshops.
- Help in writing and preparing progress reports to the sponsors
- All project partners reports to the PI, each of the project staff is considered as a leader and collaborates on several tasks making him/her supervised or manager; for example the sampling and testing, model development, experimental setup and validation etc which granting the staff leader supervisory responsibility . The research engineer here will be leading some of these tasks in responds to the project deliverables on timely and efficient manner.
- M.Sc. in Mechanical or Energy Engineering with strong interest in desalination and water samplings and testing
- High attainment level and understanding of the computational fluid dynamics (CFD) modeling
- Experience and hands on R&D tasks related to heat transfer analysis, thermodynamics, fluid dynamics.
- Strong mathematical background and computer skills in Microsoft office, i.e. MS Word, Excel, Power Point, etc.
- Excellent in written and communication skills
- 2 years’ experience in academic research (equivalent to MS or GRA)
How To Apply
You will be required to attach the following:
- Passport-size photograph
- Teaching and Research Statement