Doctor in Occupational/General Medicine
At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Are you a qualified and proactive doctor in occupational medicine, willing to contribute to a unique work environment at the heart of one of the world's most complex and exciting scientific experiments? Then this opportunity is for you. Join the largest particle physics research laboratory in the world! CERN, take part!
The CERN Medical Service is part of the Health, Safety and Environmental Protection Unit, and provides all the occupational medicine for CERN staff as well as supplying first aid and medical emergency services.
You will join:
- The HSE unit supports CERN in the implementation and enforcement of its safety policy.
- The OHS Group is in charge of providing advice, monitoring and following-up on the implementation and accomplishment of safety objectives aimed at a continuous improvement of a safe working environment.
- The medical services monitors the health of employed members of CERN's personnel and determines their aptitude for work.
As Section Leader of the ME Section, you will lead CERN’s medical service.
As a Doctor in Occupational Medicine in CERN’s Medical Service, you will collaborate with a variety of people in the field of health and safety (the HSE Unit, firefighters, medical emergency teams) and carry out the full range of occupational medicine duties, which will include:
- Monitoring the health of members of CERN personnel.
- Carrying out the follow-up of long-term sick leave, the prevention of accidents as well as occupational diseases.
- Dispensing primary care medicine together with the nursing staff, perform diagnoses, provide medical care and refer patients.
- Conducting periodic medical examinations with a view to evaluating employees' fitness for work.
- Taking part, together with the work safety engineers and technicians, in installation inspections, the analysis of workstations and the examination of working conditions (including possible exposure to occupational hazards, risks or harmful effects).
- Taking part in boards and working groups dealing with the medical welfare of the staff.
As Section Leader you will manage the Medical Section (ME) and implement the objectives of the HSE-Unit and OHS-Group. This means:
- Managing workplace safety and implementing safety regulations.
- Ensuring proper working conditions and relations and taking preventive action.
- Participating with the group leader and other section leaders in the organisation of the group.
- Planning and optimising human resources (taking part in the recruitment of new personnel, managing and assessing performance).
- Sharing knowledge and creating a working environment conducive to learning in order to support individual career development.
- Ensuring that the required competencies of members of the section are kept up-to-date.
- Planning and optimising other resources (financial, contractual and material).
- Assessing and deciding upon the feasibility and the planning of tasks in line with the group’s objectives and organising their implementation by the section, with regular follow-up through to completion.
- Ensuring a regular flow of communication with other section members, section leaders and the group leader.
- Representing the section and promoting its expertise inside and outside the Organization.
- Ensuring that information is appropriately disseminated.
Doctorate in general medicine, with a specialisation in the field of health & safety or a related field.
- Demonstrated experience in occupational medicine, primary care medicine and at least in one of the following fields: mental health at work or toxicology.
- Demonstrated experience in managing a team would be an advantage.
- Work experience in an international environment would be an advantage.
- Occupational medicine.
- Emergency first response.
- Primary care medicine.
- Creating vision and strategic partnerships: participating, encouraging and actively supporting cross-functional and cross-departmental work and projects; creating shared interests and promoting contact and collaboration with key external partners.
- Demonstrating accountability: declaring own intentions clearly in dealings with others; using influence constructively; presenting information accurately and objectively.
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships; contributing to promoting a positive atmosphere in the team through an optimistic and constructive attitude; addressing issues.
- Demonstrating flexibility: being able to deal with ambiguous or unpredictable situations; instigating and promoting change as an opportunity for organisational development.
- Communicating effectively: delivering presentations in a structured and clear way; adjusting style and content to the audience; responding calmly and confidently to questions.
Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language in professional contexts. Ability to draw-up technical specifications and scientific reports and to make oral presentations in at least one of the two languages.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States. (https://careers.cern/content/member-states)
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 02.09.2018
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- A valid driving licence is required.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: HSE-OHS-ME-2018-81-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Physician (Occupational Health)
Please make sure you have all the documents needed to hand as you start your application, as once it is submitted, you will not be able to upload any documents or edit your application further