Assistant Librarian I (Systems Support)
City University of Hong Kong is a dynamic, fast-growing university that is pursuing excellence in research and professional education. As a publicly-funded institution, the University is committed to nurturing and developing students’ talents and creating applicable knowledge to support social and economic advancement.
Applications are invited for:
Assistant Librarian I (Systems Support)
Library [Ref. B/197/09]
The Run Run Shaw Library of City University of Hong Kong is seeking an energetic, experienced and strategic professional with proven leadership to manage and develop the System Support services in support of the teaching, learning and research activities of the University community in a dynamic academic environment.
Duties : The appointee will play a vital role in the development and management of the Library’s integrated system, research information system and various database systems in support of the Library services. S/he is expected to identify and develop opportunities to integrate emerging technologies into Library services for enhancement of user experience and work efficiency as well as participating actively in planning, managing and supporting the Library’s information systems and IT initiatives.
The appointee will be required to:
- Lead the System Support Section to support and develop the Library’s integrated system and discovery platform;
- Work with relevant Offices and the Library’s Research Support and Scholarly Communication Division in enhancing, customizing and maintaining the University’s research information system, namely CityU Scholars;
- Participate substantially in developing and maintaining the Library’s application programmes and database systems;
- Identify, evaluate, and develop opportunities to integrate new and emerging technologies to support the delivery of services and resources of the Library;
- Work with Library staff at all levels and analyse their requirements for IT support; propose, develop and implement effective IT solutions;
- Work closely with Technical Services and Support Section in enhancing and maintaining the Library website, in maintaining the stability and security of the virtual and physical servers;
- Assist in planning and conducting usability testing and overall assessment of the Library’s systems and web services;
- Prepare documentation of application systems and provide relevant user training;
- Compile statistical reports to support service review, collection development as well as overall Library planning and development;
- Keep abreast of IT development and the emerging library trends, standards, applications, and knowledge systems for providing advice to the Library in its future development that meets and anticipate users’ needs;
- Lead or participate in IT-related projects within or beyond the Library;
- Participate in Library committees and working groups and represent the Library in JULAC Technology Committee and task forces as need arises; and
- Perform any other duties as assigned.
- A good honours degree in IT-related disciplines plus a recognized postgraduate degree in Library Science/Library and Information Science (or equivalent);
- At least 5 years' post-qualification working experience in system development and management or related responsibilities, preferably in an academic library setting;
- Demonstrated experience with web-based development and software integration, (e.g. using REST APIs, and JSON or XML for data interoperability), and experience in indexing search platform configuration (e.g. Apache Solr and/or Elasticsearch);
- Demonstrated understanding of client/server environment, with working experience on Microsoft Windows Server, UNIX/Linux, Oracle/SQL Server;
- Self-motivation and capability in working independently and within a team environment;
- Excellent interpersonal, analytical, organizational, problem-solving, and communication skills;
- Good command in written and spoken English and Chinese; and
- Experience in developing and managing a current research information system; significant overseas/non-local working experience; knowledge of Alma integrated library systems and Primo discovery platform or similar systems preferred.
Salary and Conditions of Service
Remuneration package will be highly competitive, commensurate with qualifications and experience. Initial appointment will be made on a fixed-term contract; fringe benefits include gratuity, leave, medical and dental schemes, and housing benefits (where applicable).
Information and Application
Further information on the post and the University is available at http://www.cityu.edu.hk, or from the Human Resources Office, City University of Hong Kong, Tat Chee Avenue, Kowloon Tong, Hong Kong [Email : firstname.lastname@example.org/Fax : (852) 2788 1154 or (852) 3442 0311].
City University of Hong Kong is an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to the principle of diversity. Personal data provided by applicants will be used for recruitment and other employment-related purposes.
Worldwide recognition ranking 49th, and 4th among top 50 universities under age 50 (QS survey 2018); 1st in Engineering/Technology/Computer Sciences in Hong Kong (ARWU survey 2016); and 2nd Business School in Asia-Pacific region (UT Dallas survey 2017).