- Contribute to the delivery of the University’s Hallmark and Signature events
- Demonstrate your skills in managing multiple events
- Full-time, fixed term replacement staff member, until June 2019, base salary $92K plus super
About the opportunity
Under the direction of Head of Events, External Relations, the Event Manager is responsible for coordinating a diverse range of events from internal clients across the entire University. The position requires high quality customer service skills, extensive experience in events management and coordination, and the ability to provide professional support to a wide range of stakeholders. You will have the ability to provide professional support to the Head of Events and other portfolio colleagues.
Each year the University delivers a large number of events including visitor hosting, ceremonies, launches, exhibitions, conferences and meetings, workshops, seminars, public lectures, performances, lunches and dinners, cultural and recreational activities, concerts, business events, festivals and celebrations. These events play a significant role in the life of students, staff, alumni, donors and the community and in the reputation of the University. They help to promote the excellence of the University name, the extraordinary work performed by Faculties, Schools and Business Units, the relationships with external partners and contribute to bringing interest, engagement, and funding into the University.
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance in recruiting talent aligned to these values in the pursuit of research excellence. We are looking for an Event Manager who possesses demonstrated expertise in:
- event management and coordination
- excellent computer skills, including sound proficiency in Microsoft Excel and Word and experience with event management and/or registration software (Ungerboeck experience preferred)
- good administration skills, including record and budget keeping and the ability to effectively prioritise tasks, whilst maintaining exceptional attention to detail
- capacity to manage a range of complex issues simultaneously, plan and execute workflows and meet deadlines
- excellent interpersonal, organisation, communication and customer service skills, when dealing with colleagues, senior executives, alumni, students, donors, students, wider community members and suppliers alike
- a university degree or equivalent relevant experience.
The Vice-Principal (External Relations) coordinates external relations functions for the University including industry relations, government relations, media relations, marketing and communications, government relations and the Events Office among this mix of functions. The Events Office is responsible for delivering the University’s annual Hallmark and Signature Event Program, which creates opportunities for the University to achieve the goals outlined in its Strategic Plan.
Since our inception 160 years ago, the University of Sydney has led to improve the world around us. We believe in education for all and that effective leadership makes lives better. These same values are reflected in our approach to diversity and inclusion and underpin our long-term strategy for growth. We are Australia’s first university and have an outstanding global reputation for academic and research excellence. Across our campuses, we employ over 7600 academic and non-academic staff who support over 60,000 students.
We are undergoing significant transformative change which brings opportunity for innovation, progressive thinking, breaking with convention, challenging the status quo, and improving the world around us.
How to Apply
For more information on the position and University, please view the candidate information pack available from the job’s listing on the University of Sydney careers website.
All applications must be submitted via the University of Sydney careers website. Visit sydney.edu.au/recruitment and search by the reference number to apply.
Please note: visa sponsorship is not available for this position
Closing date: 11.30pm 24 July 2018
The University of Sydney is committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications from people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; equity target groups including women, people with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTIQ; and people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent, are encouraged.
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.