Office of the Assistant Vice-Chancellor, Research, Academic and Enterprise
The Dean, Enterprise is a new role at Massey University. Designed to lead, coordinate and promote the University's ambitions in staff and student enterprise and work with the Assistant Vice-Chancellor Research, Academic and Enterprise (AVC RAE) to drive a culture of entrepreneurial excellence, this is an exciting opportunity to make a real difference to Massey and the communities we serve. Guided by our University Strategy, this role represents a unique and exciting opportunity to play a key role in driving the success of the University as part of a rapidly developing 'enterprise ecosystem', both in New Zealand and further afield.
Applications are invited from applicants who believe they may have the necessary mix of skills and experience for this role. This position will be ideally suited to an individual with senior level credibility within both the business and academic worlds, a proven track record of developing productive and mutually beneficial business relationships, and strong leadership and communication skills. If you believe you may be suited to this role, I would like to hear from you.
The successful candidate will have a wide-ranging remit including:
- strong collaboration with members of the University community who have existing relationships with the business community, to ensure that University wide support and benefits are made available to businesses directly, or through the relationship sponsor
- ongoing initiation, development and execution of University-wide engagement with the business community
- acting in an ambassadorial and championing role for the business community (and vice versa) across Massey
- facilitating and developing productive relationships with business partners
- acting as the first point of contact for all new University business relationships and/or for advice guidance, and support for university community members establishing business relationships
- providing high quality advice and guidance on business engagement across the University.
Specifically, the Dean, Enterprise will provide strategic and operational advice to the AVC RAE with regard to staff and student enterprise, business development and research commercialisation at the University. The successful candidate will have an outstanding record of personal achievement combined with experience in understanding the broader commercial and enterprise context in which universities operate. Evidence of success in successful implementation and embedding practice in addition to leading innovation will be an advantage, as will the ability to understand the imperatives around linking research outcomes and discoveries to 'real world' practical and commercial application. Demonstrated (and proven) familiarity with the Māori economy and its levers, sound and constructive relationships with key Māori individuals or organisations and the development of enterprise initiatives with Māori-owned or focused entities, would be advantageous.
Reporting directly to the AVC RAE, this is a key leadership role in the University. Candidates must have strong interpersonal and people skills, superior skills of negotiation and persuasion, proven experience in effectively leading, managing and motivating teams and the flexibility to lead innovative thinking in a challenging environment. The role will carry budget responsibility and operational leadership accountability in the form of line management.Interested applicants can seek further information from the AVC RAE, Professor Giselle Byrnes (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Closing date: 29 July 2018
Reference number: A237-18CA
For further information and to apply online, visit: http://massey-careers.massey.ac.nz/