Post Doctor Position in Electric Power Engineering
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) is the largest university in Norway with approximately 40.000 students. NTNU also offers the largest number of technical and engineering disciplines in Norway, and has been the major contributor to the development of Norwegian energy resources and industry since the university was first created in 1910. In 2016, eight new research centers on Environmentally Friendly Energy (FME) was granted covering energy related topics as Hydro Power, Smart Energy Systems, Bioenergy, Solar Power, Transportation, Zero Emission Buildings/Smart Cities as well as CCS. Each center has eight years duration (average budget 35 mill EUROs). NTNU is either chairing or research partner in all the new centers.
The Faculty of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering (http://www.ntnu.edu/ie ), at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) has a vacancy for a 100% position (up to 2 years) as Post Doctor position at the Department of Electric Power Engineering (IEL)(http://www.ntnu.edu/elkraft/research ).
Information about the Department of Electric Power Engineering
Currently there are 11 Professors and 7 Associate professors at the department. In addition, there are 4 Adjunct professors, 2 Adjunct associate professors, 3 Researchers, 7 Postdoctoral researchers, and around 40 PhD students and 14 technical/administrative staff. Research activities are organized into five groups. This position belongs to the Power System Operation and Control group.
Information about the position and work description
The position is a part the Norwegian Research Council project KPN HVDC-pro where SINTEF Energy is the project leader. The main objective of this project is to develop new methods and tools for enabling HVDC interconnectors to improve system stability by delivering inertia support, and by this contributing to future stable and secure operation of the European power systems with an increased share of renewables. Control of HVDC converters will gain a significant role in providing frequency control and virtual inertia due to the large total rating of the converter stations. While contribution to the primary frequency control from HVDC interconnections is well established, the implementation of strategies for providing virtual inertia is still in an early stage for HVDC converters. The main responsibility of the candidate is to work on the development of new numerical techniques and tools for accurately assessing small- and large-signal stability in large-scale power systems with inertia support from HVDC transmission schemes in a future system dominated by power electronic converters. The purpose is to provide system-level analysis while preserving a more detailed representation of the converter units and their associated control to be able to detect potential interactions between the converter and the network which may lead to resonances, poorly damped or even unstable modes. Power systems including power converters translate into large and numerically stiff dynamic systems that can be challenging to solve effectively, both in the time-domain and in the frequency-domain. The application of hybrid simulation techniques to speed up the calculations while preserving the accuracy may be an instrument in the final scheme.
Competences in the following areas will be required:
- Power system dynamics and techniques for analysis of power electronic systems.
- Analysis techniques for non-linear dynamical systems
- Control engineering
- Tools for studying dynamic interaction of linearized systems
A post doctor at NTNU will have good opportunities to participate at conferences, research projects and international collaborations, which will extend your professional network.
The supervision team will be: Professor Olav B. Fosso, Department of Electric Power Engineering, (NTNU), Professor Marta Molinas, Department of Engineering Cybernetics, (NTNU) and Dr. Jon-Are Suul, (SINTEF Energy).
We seek highly motivated and excellent candidates with a PhD and experience in the research field as defined for the position (see list above). We will prioritize candidates with a strong publication record, preferably with journals in the Q1 - Q2 quartiles and peer reviewed conferences. Please indicate the quartile for your journal publications.
We will prioritize candidates with excellent communication skills - written and oral, and with ability to work independently, as well as in a team.
Applicants who do not master a Scandinavian language must provide evidence of good English language skills, written and spoken. The following tests can be used as such documentation: TOEFL, IELTS and Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) or Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE). Minimum scores are:
- TOEFL: 600 (paper-based test), 92 (Internet-based test)
- IELTS: 6.5, with no section lower than 5.5 (only Academic IELTS test accepted)
- CAE/CPE: grade B or A
Appointments are made in accordance with the regulations in force regarding terms of employment for Post Doctor candidates issued by the Ministry of Education and Research, with relevant parts of the additional guidelines for appointment as a Post Doctor candidate at NTNU. The person who is appointed must comply with the conditions that apply at any time to employees in the public sector. In addition, a contract will be signed regarding the period of employment.
The Post doc position is in code 1352 Research fellow, salary grade 57 - 72 in the Norwegian State salary scale, gross NOK 488.900 – 647.700 per year, depending on qualifications. A deduction of 2% is made as a statutory contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
We can offer
- An informal and friendly workplace with dedicated colleagues
- Academic challenges
- Attractive schemes for housing loan, insurance and pension in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
NTNU wants to attract outstanding and creative candidates who can contribute to our ongoing research activities. We believe that diversity is important to achieve a good, inclusive working environment. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply, regardless of the gender, disability or cultural background.
The appointment is subject to the conditions in effect at any time for employees in the public sector.
Under Section 25 of the Freedom of Information Act, information about the applicant may be made public even if the applicant has requested not to have his or her name entered on the list of applicants.
The application must be sent electronically via www.jobbnorge.no with information about education and relevant experience.
The application should contain:
- Information about education, exams and previous relevant work/research experience (a CV).
- Certified copies of academic diplomas and certificates.
- Applicants from universities outside Norway are kindly requested to send a diploma supplement or a similar document, which describes in detail the study and grading system and the rights for further studies associated with the obtained degree.
- Publications relevant to the research scope and any other work which the applicant wishes to be taken into account, should clearly state the applicant’s contribution. A short summary should be attached outlining the applicant’s input to joint work.
- Names and contact information of at least two references.
- A description (maximum three pages) of the research proposal for the applied position.
- A statement of purpose including an explanation of how your research interests and background would fit the position.
For further information, please contact Professor Olav B. Fosso (email@example.com)
Mark the application IE 150-2018
Deadline for applications: 2018-08-15
ABOUT THIS JOB
- Deadline Wednesday, August 15, 2018
- Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
- Municipality Trondheim
- Place of service Trondheim
- Jobbnorge ID 155472
- Internal ID 2018/21656
- Scope Fulltime
- Duration Temporary
- Applications on this job are registered in an electronic form on jobbnorge.no
- You must complete: Standard CV
- Please refer to where you first saw this job advertised!