Research Fellow, Life Course Centre

Location
Brisbane, Australia
Posted
05 Jul 2018
End of advertisement period
19 Jul 2018
Ref
504752
Academic Discipline
Social Sciences, Law, Psychology, Sociology
Contract Type
Fixed Term
Hours
Full Time

School of Social Science & the Life Course Centre

With over 45 academic staff and 100 higher degree students, the School is one of the largest and most prestigious of its type in Australia. It is a research-intensive School comprising the disciplines of anthropology, archaeology, criminology and sociology. The School manages the Bachelor of Criminology and Criminal Justice (Honours), the Bachelor of Social Science, and offers majors in each of its disciplines within the Bachelor of Arts, along with a major in archaeological science in the Bachelor of Science.  The School also manages postgraduate programs in Development Practice, Museum studies, and Heritage Management. 

The School works collaboratively with the Institute for Social Science Research, where the Life Course Centre (LCC) is located.  The LCC advances research targeted at reducing the intergenerational transmission of disadvantage, tackling the problem of deep and persistent disadvantage which is characterized by the spread of social and economic poverty within families and across generations.

The role

Based in the School of Social Science on the St Lucia Campus, the role will involve undertaking research, training and administrative duties associated with the Life Course Centre’s research programs, working closely with Professor Lorraine Mazerolle. Research duties for the LCC account for 80% of the role, and the other 20% will involve teaching within the School of Social Science.  The role will involve:  using innovative statistical techniques to advance knowledge of the temporal and spatial dimensions of communities and crime, drawing on longitudinal datasets of communities; leading and working in multidisciplinary collaborative research teams; and establishing and fostering effective relationships with multiple parties such as government and not-for-profit agencies. 

The person

Applicants must possess a PhD in a relevant field such as criminology, sociology, or psychology. The successful candidate will have a track record of achievement in research, publication, consultancy/applied research, along with teaching experience.  They will have a relevant, strong research program, preferably with expertise and interests in crime and disadvantage over the life course, with a particular focus on the community context of immigration, disadvantage and residential segregation, and how these impact on neighbourhood crime. Demonstrated expertise in spatial analysis and longitudinal data analysis, along with research leadership and management skills, and programming skills using statistical software, are essential.

The University of Queensland values diversity and inclusion and actively encourages applications from those who bring diversity to the University. Please refer to the University’s Diversity and Inclusion webpage (https://staff.uq.edu.au/information-and-services/human-resources/diversity) for further information and points of contact if you require additional support.

This role is a full-time position; however flexible working arrangements may be negotiated.

Accessibility requirements and/or adjustments can be directed to the contact person listed in the job advertisement.

You must have the right to live and work in this location to apply for this job.

Remuneration

This is a full-time or part-time, fixed-term (3-year) appointment at Research Academic Level B. The remuneration package will be in the range $92,142 to $109,419 pa, plus employer superannuation contributions of up to 17% (total package will be in the range $107,806 - $128,020). 

Position Description

Download File 504752_NEW_Research Fellow (Life Course Centre) PD.pdf

Enquiries

To discuss this role please contact Professor Lorraine Mazerolle l.mazerolle@uq.edu.au .

To submit an application for this role, use the Apply button below. All applicants must supply the following documents: Cover Letter, Resume, and Selection Criteria responses.

For information on completing the application process click here.