PhD Studentship, Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering
The Surrey Space Centre, part of the Department of Electronic Engineering, is a world-class institution for space engineering research with a growing interest in Electric Propulsion for the small satellite industry. The downscaling of electric thrusters to lower levels of power suitable for application on small satellite platforms is a subject of ongoing research within the plasma propulsion group. The successful candidate will perform hands-on laboratory investigations on innovative plasma propulsion prototypes. This project will be in close collaboration with Surrey Satellite Technology Ltd with an industrial co-supervisor supporting the guidance of the activities (industrial co-supervisor: Tom Potterton, firstname.lastname@example.org).
In particular, the PhD project involves the following activities:
- Design and development of novel electric propulsion concepts.
- Design and implementation of testbeds for the development of low power electric propulsion systems.
- Performance and lifetime characterization of plasma propulsion devices.
- Low-temperature plasma physics.
Applicants are expected to hold a first or upper-second class degree in a relevant discipline (or equivalent overseas qualification), or a lower second plus a good Masters degree (distinction normally required).
This project is funded with a studentship from Surrey Satellite Technology Ltd. The funding is available for three (3) years. The amount of £19,037 for bursary (£14,777) and fees (£4,260) is available for the first year and will be increased every year to cover the cost of both fees and bursary up to three years.
A selection of excellent candidates is fundamental to us and a different starting date could be agreed if necessary.
- Apply to study on the PhD programme at https://www.surrey.ac.uk/postgraduate/space-engineering-phd
- In the application form, clearly state you are applying for the PhD scholarship supervised by Dr. Andrea Lucca Fabris.
- Selected candidates will be invited for an interview.
Open for EU/UK students only.
Formal applications should be submitted through our programme page. You should make clear in your application that you are applying for this studentship.
Application deadline: The studentship will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.