Vice President of APU
Call for Applications: Faculty Member, Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University
Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University (APU) is currently recruiting for a faculty member position as detailed below. Your assistance in sharing these details with interested parties would be greatly appreciated.
Position: Faculty member to serve as a Vice President of APU
Number of openings: One in principle
Job title: Professor (tenured)
Teaching: May be required to teach classes in line with specialization
Requirements: (1) Must have sufficient English language proficiency to conduct educational and administrative activities
(functional proficiency in the Japanese language is desirable, but not essential)
(2) Must be academically qualified as follows:
1) Holder of a doctoral degree
2) Holder of master’s degree, plus at least five years’ experience at managerial level in a company or other organization, together with experience in authoring published works in one’s field such as books, academic papers, and survey reports.
(3) Must be sympathetic to APU’s ideals, basic objectives and characteristics, and have a passion for education at APU.
(4) Must not be over the age of 65 years as of April 1, 2019.
2. Appointment Date: April 1, 2019
3. Employment Conditions: In accordance with APU regulations. Research support programs (individual research materials grants, research travel grants) are available.
4. Affiliation: College/Center of affiliation will be determined in accordance with specialization.
5. Vice President’s Duties: (1) APU Vice Presidents have responsibilities in the areas shown below.
Academic affairs, admissions, international cooperation projects, research, donations and social engagement, strategic planning, administrative affairs, financial affairs, etc.
The specific responsibilities assigned to the appointee will be determined in light of the appointee’s experience and expertise.
(2) Vice Presidents are appointed for a three year term, and re-appointment is possible. After expiration of his/her term of appointment as Vice President, the appointee will continue to be employed as a Professor until the mandatory retirement age (65 years).
6. Application Documents if applying directly: Submit one copy of each of the following documents by the application deadline.
Download Forms 1, 2 and the Guide to Completing Application Forms from the APU website:
URL: http://en.apu.ac.jp/home/ Click on “Jobs at APU”
(1) Curriculum Vitae (with applicant’s signature or handwritten name and personal seal stamp; portrait photograph attached (40mm x 30mm) [FORM 1]*
(2) Educational and Research Achievements [FORM 1]*
(3) Major Educational and Research Project Outcomes [FORM 2]*
(4) Statement of Intent (aspirations for Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University, etc.) [No prescribed format]
(5) Three major outputs (books and/or research papers; copies are acceptable)
(6) At least two letters of recommendation (clearly stating the relationship between the applicant and recommender; in an envelope sealed by the recommender) [No prescribed format]
(7) Certification of highest educational level completed (copy of degree certificate is acceptable)
*Forms 1 and 2: In addition to sending these forms together with other application documents by postal mail, please e-mail them in Microsoft Word format to the Academic Office (details below) by the application deadline.
7. Application Documents if recommended by a third party
Please submit Vice Presidential Candidate Recommendation Form [Form 3] by the application deadline.
Note that candidates recommended by third parties are required to submit the same documentation as direct applicants. In such cases, APU will contact such candidates directly.
*During the selection process, candidates may be requested to submit further evidence of their achievements.
*The selected candidate will be required to undergo a health check in the format prescribed by APU.
*Please understand that application documents once submitted cannot be returned. Personal information provided in connection with applications will be managed appropriately and in accordance with APU’s regulations, and not used for any purpose other than selection for this position.
8. Application Deadlines: Friday August 31, 2018 (by postal mail; must arrive at APU on or before this date)
9. Submit Applications To:
Faculty Personnel Affairs Unit
Academic Office, Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University
1-1 Jumonjibaru, Beppu, Oita 874-8577 JAPAN
*Be sure to send your application by registered mail (kan’i kakitome) and write
“Vice President / Faculty Member Application Enclosed” in red.
*Direct any inquiries to: NAKAHARA (Mr.) / ISHIMOTO (Mr.), Academic Office, Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University
Please use “Vice President Application” as the subject line of e-mail inquiries.
10. Additional Notes: As part of the selection process, interview candidates will be requested to teach a mock class with the interview panel acting as students.
Please refer to the APU website to learn more about our university: www.apu.ac.jp