Marketing Communications Officer
The Marketing Communications Officer assists in the delivery of the marketing communications strategy for JCU, including advertising and promotions and internal engagement across digital and non-digital communication channels.
The role includes developing communication plans, generating content, and liaising with, internal stakeholders and a range of freelance marketing and communications professionals. The role is focused on marketing communication projects which require flexibility in a high performing environment.
The Chancellery consists of the Chancellor, Vice Chancellor and President, Chair of Academic Board, Office of the Chief of Staff, Marketing, International and Advancement Directorates, and State of the Tropics project. The Chancellery provides a centralised point for the facilitation, coordination and oversight of all corporate governance; marketing activities; international compliance and student support; alumni and fundraising; government relations; and external engagement both domestically and internationally.
The Chancellery provides support to the Vice Chancellor and the Executive Group on governance and management issues and in particular supports the Vice Chancellor to discharge her duties. The Vice Chancellor and President of the University is the equivalent of the Chief Executive Officer of a substantial company. The Vice Chancellor is responsible for the overall leadership and management of the University and plays a prominent role in outward facing activities of the organisation, including national, international and community engagement.
The Marketing Directorate is responsible for oversight of the implementation of the JCU marketing strategy both domestically and internationally. The Directorate is responsible for a diverse range of marketing and related functions including brand, course and research marketing, digital strategy including the web and social media, advertising and publications, coordination/oversight of external facing events and participation in the processes around setting of fees, charges and scholarships.
James Cook University Chancellery
- Develop and activate marketing communication and engagement plans promoting JCU, discipline areas and courses.
- Develop content suitable for use in marketing communication activities like advertising and promotions, sales, course information, media releases, and website/social content.
- Develop content suitable for internal engagement activities involving internal communication channels.
- Regularly review marketing activities to ensure they are linked to the delivery of JCU strategic objectives.
- Maintain a dataset and provide data analysis and interpretation of marketing communication activities in order to measure results against desired outcomes.
- Assist with composing applications, submissions, reports and special projects that develop and initiate strategic projects and partnerships.
- Support the University's commitment to the principles of reconciliation, which exemplify respect for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander heritage and the valuing of justice and equity for all Australians.
- Demonstrate a commitment to the University values.
- Support the principles of the TropEco program and engage in commitment to JCU sustainability goals and objectives.
There are generic responsibilities that apply to all James Cook University staff. Your specific level descriptor can be found at:
Professional and Technical
There are generic responsibilities that apply to all James Cook University staff.
- The Marketing Communications Officer is required to observe the lawful and reasonable directions, policies and decisions of the University Council, understand and comply with the Enterprise Agreement, the Statutes and Rules of the University, the policies and decisions of the University Council and other appropriate University authorities, as in force from time to time.
- The Marketing Communications Officer is required to demonstrate a personal commitment to ensure personal safety and the safety of others and contribute to the continuous improvement of our WHS performance. This includes the effective implementation and compliance with James Cook University WHS policies, procedures and safe systems of work, together with all relevant legislation, duties and obligations. Contribute to the continuous improvement of our WHS performance.
- The Marketing Communications Officer is required to exercise proper discretion in all matters affecting the well-being of the University which involve public writing or speaking in accordance with the University’s Code of Conduct.
- This position may be required to travel within the region including overnight stays and after hours work on occasion.
- It is a requirement of this position to operate from the main JCU Campus (as per table above).
- The incumbent is required to hold a current ‘C’ class Queensland Drivers licence.
Selection and appointments will be assessed against selection criteria.
- Degree qualification in communications and media or equivalent field and relevant project management experience or an equivalent combination of experience and/or education and/or training.
- Demonstrated ability to manage a project through design, implementation and completion stages, managing workflow and prioritising to ensure deadlines and targets are met.
- Demonstrated well-developed written communication skills with experience in website content management and ability to write a clear brief and report suitable for a wide audience.
- Demonstrated computer literacy with skills in a range of Microsoft and/or Adobe Creative Suite computer programs.
- Demonstrated ability to collect, analyse and utilise a range of data to review and evaluate the strategic achievements of a project or event.
- Demonstrated well-developed interpersonal, networking, collaboration and communication skills and proven experience in developing and managing key stakeholder relationships.
- Knowledge of trends in marketing automation, content management systems, use of social media
- Understanding of the education sector.