Senior Manager, University Relations, Study Abroad
The University Relations and Campus Outreach Senior Manager is responsible for on-campus marketing and recruitment activities and supports the efforts of off-campus marketing strategy. The manager works with the Associate Director, University Relations and Campus Outreach in creating and managing communications and marketing initiatives for BU Study Abroad (BUSA), which include but are not limited to social media sites, writing internal and external communications materials, events coordination and promotions. The Senior Manager assists with developing and implementing marketing and long-term recruitment strategies.
Key Responsibilities/Essential Job Functions:
1. 20% Design a year-long comprehensive calendar that outlines recruitment efforts, events, and promotions in coordination with schools and their academic advisors. Lead on-campus efforts to integrate Study Abroad into campus culture and serve as primary recruiter and spokesperson at university-wide events, including, but not limited to:
- Open House
- Summer and Winter Orientation
- Departmental Panels/Events
- Family & Friends Weekend
- Study Abroad Expo
- Info Tables
- Classroom Visits
2. 20% Develop contacts with faculty members, advisors, departments, and colleges on campus. Foster these relations by ensuring that said parties receive regular communication about relevant Study Abroad initiatives and are stocked with pertinent Study Abroad marketing materials. Conceive of strategies to strengthen these partnerships through joint activities/events for student audience, as well as for informational/training purposes aimed at advisors and faculty. Serve as a liaison on departmental/administrative committees across the University, as appropriate.
3. 10% Support off-campus recruitment efforts by traveling to partner institutions throughout the US, and establishing and maintaining regular contact, as needed.
4. 10% In collaboration with Associate Director, University Relations and Campus Outreach, develop a systematic way of communicating about campus outreach activities to the BU Study Abroad team, including the coordination and solicitation of assistance from other units of Study Abroad, where appropriate.
5. 20% Create marketing and communications campaigns, along with associated materials, in consultation with Associate Director, University Relations and Campus Outreach. Initiate new types of publications as constituent needs are identified, write and edit copy, create PPT presentations, and oversee the updating of BUSA content on third-party websites such as GoAbroad and Diversity Abroad. As appropriate, work closely with other BU offices such as Marketing and Communications, BU Today, BU Bookstore, and others to promote BUSA’s visibility.
6. 10% Assist the Associate Director, University Relations & Campus Outreach with overall marketing and communications strategies, including those aimed at the development of new business.
7. 10% Manage, with the University Relations & Campus Outreach Manager, the BU Study Abroad Ambassador Program and supervise a Graduate Intern and undergraduate student Marketing Assistants to focus on event development, publicity campaigns, personal outreach, and follow-up.
- Bachelor’s Degree required (Master’s preferred) in higher education, public relations, communications, or related field.
- Two to four years of direct experience in marketing/advertising strategies required. Study abroad recruitment or other international education recruitment experience strongly preferred. Detailed knowledge of domestic and international higher education.
- Excellent administrative and organization skills with the ability to effectively coordinate a large variety of activities.
- Strong customer service skills with the ability to resolve issues fairly, expediently, and cost-effectively.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills adaptable to all types of audiences including students, parents, faculty, Academic Consortium Board members, employees, and industry partners
- Experience in public speaking and formal presentations
- Ability to work through and resolve a wide range of issues and be an exemplary ambassador of BU Study Abroad and its mission and programs.
- Strong knowledge of U.S. academic institutions and their culture.
- Ability to function well in a complex institutional framework, have a high tolerance for ambiguity and flexibility, and be able to respond quickly and appropriately to changing circumstances.
- A strong command of the Microsoft Office package and databases.
- Must be able to work some evenings and weekends, and work with a high degree of independence.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.