Research Scientist in Robotics
The newly-established Khalifa University of Science and Technology combines The Masdar Institute of Science and Technology, Khalifa University of Science, Technology and Research and The Petroleum Institute into one world-class, research-intensive institution, seamlessly integrating research and education to produce world leaders and critical thinkers in applied science and engineering. Khalifa University of Science and Technology endeavors to be a leader among research intensive universities of the 21st century, while catalyzing the growth of Abu Dhabi and the UAE’s rapidly developing knowledge economy.
- Research Scientist to work on two projects R4EE.2 “Robot Interventions in Harsh Environments” in Khalifa University Center for Autonomous Robotics Systems (KUCARS).
- Khalifa University offers a uniquely collaborative scientific research environment and outstanding research facilities. You will have the opportunity to initiate and lead projects and work in interdisciplinary teams.
- To provide high quality research support and undertake internationally competitive research aimed at publication thereby contributing to the academic and research mission of the University.
- This research position should consolidate the person as an independent researcher, trained on a varied skills necessary to advance science and technology and advance of his career with guidance from the advisor. These skills include, but are not limited to, the ability to present research plans and findings in a convincing style, both in oral and written modes of communication, the ability to understand research group management and supervision of others, the ability to establish contacts and network with colleagues pursuing a similar research agenda, the ability to organize and teach a class or a course on his research expertize.
- To work on the deployment of collaborative robots (a team of UAVs and UGVs) for firefighting purpose related to high rise buildings. Such UAXs will need to cope with extreme disturbances due to high wind effects, fire extinguisher ejection forces, and glass breaker recoils.
The candidate will be working on the following tasks:
- Design high disturbance rejection controllers
- Develop mechanisms for fire extinguishers, glass breaker and UAV counter-measure
- Optimized mission planning and decision making development
- Conduct experiments and demo to validate proposed methods
- Publish high-quality journal and international conference papers based on the obtained research results
- PhD in Robotics
Excellent knowledge and proven expertise in one or combination of the following areas: robost control, mechanisms design, collaborative control for heterogeneous muti-agent. Also, to have experince in the following:
- Project management experience
- Technical writing skills
- Dealing with external and internal stakeholders
- Professional technical document writing
- Research project planning, coordination and management
- Experience in robotics competitions or science-based competitions
- Experience in participating in robotics competitions
- Strong programming skills in Matlab/C++/Python
- Familiarity with both Windows and Linus operating systems
- Familiarity with real-time systems (e.g. ROS).
How To Apply
Note: You will be required to attach the following:
- Passport-size photograph
- Teaching and Research Statement