Curriculum Development Director of Computer Science Program
Curriculum Development Director of Computer Science Program with specialization in Artificial Intelligence
VinUniversity Project, Hanoi, Vietnam
VinUniversity is a newly developed, private, non-profit university in Hanoi, Vietnam. VinUniversity was established by Vingroup with a mission is to be the first world-class, internationally accredited, and ranked university in Vietnam. VinUniversity has two overarching goals: to excel in teaching and to produce research that contributes to developing the key economic sectors of Vietnam.
The formation of the VinUniversity Project has resulted from the collaboration of Vingroup with Cornell University. Cornell University, an Ivy League institution based in Ithaca, New York in the United States of America, is involved in every aspect of the development of VinUniversity from infrastructure and campus reviews to curriculum development and faculty hiring. Cornell’s SC Johnson College of Business is providing extensive academic advisement in a variety of areas, drawing from a wealth of faculty expertise at multiple colleges and units at Cornell University. VinUniversity aims to meet the QS 5-star rating standards and will include the following schools within the Univesity: a School of Business, Hospitality, and Real Estate; a School of Engineering and Technology; a School of General Education; a School of Public Health and Health Services; a School of Nursing; and a School of Medicine. The University will be an English Medium Instruction (EMI) institution and plans to open for the inaugural class of students in Fall 2020.
Vingroup was established in the Ukraine in 1993. Upon its relocation to Vietnam, the venture officially became Vingroup Joint Stock Company in 2012. Vingroup’s mission is “to create a better life for the Vietnamese people.” In 2016, Vingroup was recognized among the “Top 50 Most Valuable Brands in Vietnam” (by Brand Finance magazine). Today, Vingroup is one of the leading private enterprises in Vietnam, operating in six core business areas including real estate, retail, hospitality, education, agriculture, and healthcare. In 2016, education and healthcare became not-for-profit value-based systems.
Pham Nhat Vuong is the founder and chairman of Vingroup, which has $3.9 billion USD in sales (2017) and a net worth of $5.5 billion USD (2018). Chairman Vuong is a visionary and true patriot of Vietnam and firmly believes that education is the single biggest catalyst that can transform the destiny of an individual, society, and nation. His aspiration is to create a breakthrough in the Vietnamese education sector and to groom the next generation of leaders in the 21 century and beyond for Vietnam.
VinUniversity seeks a dynamic and collaborative individual who has an established record of engagement and accomplishments in curriculum development at the university level to be the Curriculum Development Director (CDD) of the Computer Science Program with specialization in Artificial Intelligence.
The Curriculum Development Director will play a key role in developing a curriculum for the Computer Science Program and building a framework for academic practice and curriculum delivery. The CDD will also play a strategic role in promoting best practices in teaching, learning and assessment, developing the academic staff, and supporting study skills for students.
This position will work closely with the Program Directors from Cornell University, report to Director of Business and Technology education, and take on special projects as requested by the Project Director.
This position represents a rare opportunity to be part of building a world-class higher education program in Vietnam from the ground up. It will be a part-time position with 1-year assignment. (Other faculty and leadership opportunities are available after this administrative assignment). Based location is flexible, but the CDD will need to be in Hanoi, Vietnam at least 2-3 weeks during 1 year of assignment.
- Collaborate with the Program Directors from Cornell University, Content Experts, and Industry Experts to create a coherent undergraduate Computer Science Program with a specialization in AI, scheduled to be implemented in the second half of 2020. This includes a high-level program curriculum as well as a general syllabus for each core course, specialization courses, and free electives initially offered within the curriculum, co-op, and capstone projects. The curriculum will need to conform to VinUniversity’s standards for excellence and the requirements for accreditation by the ABET.
- Identify and interview key employers in Vietnam to understand what they expect if hiring graduates from the program
- Establish standard operating procedures for the development, evaluation, and revision of the program’s courses. Identify the assessment instruments, rubrics, and outcome measures consistent with international accreditation standards.
- Ensure the use of effective technology in the teaching-learning process.
- Communicate with the program’s stakeholders to incorporate feedback both before and during the curriculum development.
- Recommend staffing to ensure adequate coverage of courses for the inaugural teaching plan.
- Assist with creation of the VinUniversity Catalog related to curriculum and marketing materials for the program.
- Define the quality and characteristics of the student and staff profile within the Program.
- Assist in marketing and admission strategy for the first incoming class.
- Ph.D. degree in relevant fields, including computer science, artificial intelligence, machine learning, robotics, etc.
- Requisite specialty expertise and documented educational experience: at least three years of participation as an active faculty member in a relevant university program.
- Strong record of accomplishment in higher education curriculum development and implementation with international standard and accreditation (preferably with the U.S. accreditation standards).
- English proficiency in reading, speaking, writing, and teaching.
- Experience of working in multidisciplinary and collaborative educational teams.
- Strong knowledge/experiences in educational technology/T&L pedagogy.
- Verbal communication skill in Vietnamese is a plus, but not required.
The successful candidate will also demonstrate a variety of entrepreneurial skills including:
- Results orientation
- Ability to work under high pressure
- Efficient multitasking skills
- Flexibility in approaches
- Professional and ethical behavior
- Solid organizational skills
- Effective communication skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
How to Apply:
To apply, please send to firstname.lastname@example.org (1) your resume and (2) a cover letter explaining your interest in the position and relevant qualifications. Please include Position Title on the Email Subject. Applications submitted before July 31, 2018 will receive immediate consideration.
Application deadline: Open until filled.
Position start date: September 1, 2018