Methane Emission Technology Evaluation Center Research Associate
4 days left
- Full Time
The Energy Institute is operated under the Office of the Vice President for Research (OVPR) at Colorado State University. The Institute builds on the long history of work in energy at CSU and is intended to foster greater collaboration among energy faculty across all eight colleges with broad access to new facilities for faculty and industry partners. This position resides at Powerhouse, an energy focused campus north of CSU main campus. This is an industrial working environment. The Institute is dedicated to providing safe, secure, and sophisticated facilities for university investigators and industry partners to collaboratively research clean energy in all facets of society.
This position manages the testing operations of METEC (Methane Emission Technology Evaluation Center) which simulates methane leaks in a broad range of natural gas production systems in a real-world industry environment. The testing infrastructure at METEC allow leaks to be controlled and measured and thus it provides a platform for detection technology companies from around the world to use the site to improve and validate their technologies. This position will be responsible for keeping the site operational through the remainder of the ARPA-E funding period and its continued use thereafter. The position assists in developing strategies for METEC to increase testing capacity and expand the client base. Additionally, this position will assist with other projects related to methane detection. This position requires industry and technical knowledge to support research actives, but also requires effective project management skills, and excellent interpersonal and communication skills to confidently interact with clients and visitors.
Required Job Qualifications
• Master’s Degree or Bachelor’s Degree with 3 or more years of related work experience
• 3-years of demonstrated experience managing a field-site project
• 3- years project management experience
• Strong understanding of electro-mechanical systems, with particular emphasis on industrial control systems
• Ability to create organized and clear systems drawings
• Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot, debug and repair industrial control systems.
• Detail oriented with high level of attention to safe and precise operation.
• Experience with client company service agreements, customer- facing relationships, proprietary information, non-disclosure agreements
• High level of computer mastery (MS Office Suite)
• Demonstrated programming ability (Python and Labview)
• This position requires a flexible, resourceful, and detail-oriented person that thrives in a fast-paced environment.
• Physical capability to lift up to 50lbs on a daily basis
• Experience with installation, configuration, calibration, operation and maintenance of a wide variety of scientific instrumentation (Gas Chromatograph, Sonic Anemometers, Mass Flow Meters, Mass Flow Controllers, Gas Monitors)
• Experience with Optical Gas Imaging cameras (Flir, OpGal)
• Experience installing and troubleshooting gas and fluid system components such as tubing, fittings, valves, regulators.
Preferred Job Qualifications
• Experience managing and operating a natural gas leak test facility
• Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and priorities
• Demonstrated ability to organize, manage and complete large scale industrial projects
• Experience working with high pressure systems (3000 – 4000psi)
• Experience with natural gas production (natural gas wells, transmission lines, mid-stream compressor stations etc.)
• Understanding of Oil and Gas Industry safety standards and practices
• Experience in research and development in the Oil and Gas industry environment
• Understanding of the underlying concepts of gas chromatography, atmospheric measurement equipment
• Familiarity with GC software OpenLab-Chemstation and Met station software Airplust5
• SafeLand training
• Excellent organizational skills
• Good insight and judgment
• High degree of efficiency and accuracy
Special Instructions to Applicants
For full consideration, please apply by 7/23/2018 with a resume, cover letter addressing the minimum and preferred qualifications and contact information for 3 professional references. References will not be contacted without prior notification of candidates.
Conditions of Employment Pre-employment Criminal Background Check (required for new hires), Valid Driver’s License, Use, Handling, or Exposure to hazardous materials Search Contact Kate Laughery; firstname.lastname@example.org
Colorado State University is committed to providing an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based on race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy and will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Colorado State University is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and Colorado State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. The Office of Equal Opportunity is located in 101 Student Services.