Postdoctoral Fellow in Robotics Engineering
The newly-established Khalifa University of Science and Technology combines The Masdar Institute of Science and Technology, Khalifa University of Science, Technology and Research and The Petroleum Institute into one world-class, research-intensive institution, seamlessly integrating research and education to produce world leaders and critical thinkers in applied science and engineering. Khalifa University of Science and Technology endeavors to be a leader among research intensive universities of the 21st century, while catalyzing the growth of Abu Dhabi and the UAE’s rapidly developing knowledge economy.
The Khalifa University Center for Autonomous Robotics Systems (KUCARS) seeks one applicant for a Post-doctoral Research Fellow vacancy, with expertise in the areas of Mechatronics and Manufacturing Automation
Khalifa University offers a uniquely collaborative scientific research environment and outstanding research facilities. You will have the opportunity to initiate and lead projects and work in interdisciplinary teams.
- To provide high quality research support and undertake internationally competitive research aimed at publication thereby contributing to the academic and research mission of the University.
- Since the Postdoctoral experience is transitional to becoming an independent researcher or faculty member, the Postdoctoral tries their best to acquire the varied skills necessary to advance their career with guidance from the advisor. These skills include, but are not limited to, the ability to present research plans and findings in a convincing style, both in oral and written modes of communication, the ability to understand research group management and supervision of others, the ability to establish contacts and network with colleagues pursuing a similar research agenda, the ability to organize and teach a class or a course if more inclined towards a teaching career.
To work on the development of a robotic platform to automate tasks in industrial applications where large-size structures are involved (e.g. aircraft manufacturing, ship building, installation of surface or underwater piping systems).
In particualr a light mobile robot has to be developed to move on such structures and perform drilling and assembly tasks. The candidate will be working on the following tasks
- Rsearch on mobile robotic platforms with on-structure locomotion capability
- Design and development of mobile attachment and fixturing systems
- Modeling and implementation of multi-modal locomotion systems
- Integraiton and control of an experimental platform to perform machining tasks onto an elongated structure
- Conduct experiments and demo to validate proposed methods
- Publish high-quality journal and international conference papers based on the obtained research results
- PhD or equivalent doctorate (e.g. ScD, MD, DVM)
- In-depth experience with design, mechatronics, system integration, programming, modeling and control of robots.
- In-depth experience with fabrication, sensing, programming using Matlab, C++, Python, ROS, etc. Excellent writing and communication skills, strong publication records.
How To Apply
You will be required to attach the following:
- Passport-size photograph
- Teaching and Research Statement