PhD Position at the The Department of Interdisciplinary Studies of Culture
PhD position at the The Department of Interdisciplinary Studies of Culture, within the project Everyday life as a service
The Department of Interdisciplinary Studies of Culture in collaboration with the Department of Architecture and Technology and the Department of Design at the Norwegian University of Science of Technology are looking for a PhD student. The position is 3 years full time. The position is connected to the FME Research Centre on Zero Emission Neighbourhoods in Smart Cities (FME ZEN) and the Centre for energy, climate and the environment (CEEC). It is funded by NTNU’s strategic research area on Sustainability.
Do you want to find out what happens when we own fewer and more durable goods and satisfy our needs mainly through services provided by and shared with others? In this PhD project, you will devote three years to systematically experiment with the so-called performance economy, a way of producing and consuming, which focuses on re-use, repair, maintenance, services and sharing.
You will work with a team of researchers and PhD students from Science and Technology Studies, Design, and Architecture and conceive, conduct and analyze experiments on the household level which test basic claims of the performance economy. Your research will combine the qualitative approaches to the study of everyday life in which the hosting department is world leading with analyses of resource consumption and household expenses.
We are looking for applicants with a background from humanities, social science, architecture, design or related fields.
- Excellent command of English (written and spoken)
- Experience with conducting qualitative social research
- The ability to work in interdisciplinary teams
- Basic knowledge of approaches to circular economy
Basic knowledge of a Nordic language will be an advantage but not a requirement
To be accepted to a PhD-programme at NTNU, you must have:
- completed at least five years of higher education that includes a master's degree or other equivalent degree.
- a strong academic record and a weighted average for the last two years of your master's degree equivalent to a B or higher in NTNU's grading scale.
PhD studies at NTNU are organized in PhD programmes. Within 3 months after appointing the successful PhD scholarship holder, he/she must apply for admission to the PhD programme in Interdisciplinary Studies of Culture. For further information, please see https://www.ntnu.edu/studies/phkult
The application must be sent electronically through the website Jobbnorge (http://www.jobbnorge.no), and be marked with the file number for the position HF 18-039. The application must contain information about education, exams and previous employment.
The application must further include:
- A motivation letter (2-5 pages A4), including a statement regarding when the applicant may take up the position
- A CV including certificates
- At least one letter of reference, and two additional references that can be contacted by us
- A complete list of publications with bibliographical references
Terms and benefits
The position is remunerated according to salary level 51 in the national salary scheme, gross NOK 449.900, - annually, of which 2 per cent is deducted for the State Pension scheme.
The successful applicant's primary work place will be at the Department of Interdisciplinary Studies of Culture.
The appointment will be made in accordance with regulations for fellowship appointments at universities, and with regulations concerning State Employees and Civil Servants. A contract will be drawn up detailing the period of appointment and required duties
It is a major political objective to achieve a balance of age and gender in the national labor force and to recruit persons with a diverse background. Candidates who fit the latter description are encouraged to apply.
For more information about the position please contact Thomas Berker, email@example.com
Application deadline is 15. August 2018.
ABOUT THIS JOB
- Deadline Wednesday, August 15, 2018
- Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
- Municipality Trondheim
- Place of service NTNU Dragvoll
- Jobbnorge ID 155056
- Internal ID HF18-039
- Scope Fulltime
- Duration Temporary
- Applications on this job are registered in an electronic form on jobbnorge.no
- You must complete: Academic CV
- Please refer to where you first saw this job advertised!