Associate Lecturer in Statistics and Data Science
We offer an exciting opportunity for an Associate Lecturer in Statistics & Data Science to join our world-leading institution at James Cook University (JCU). A continuing appointment, this position can be based at either the Townsville or Cairns campus in picturesque tropical north Queensland, where you can achieve your career goals and enjoy work life balance.
What you will achieve
You will have the opportunity to share your passion for statistics and data science by engaging with students to support face to face and online delivery of course material for the Master’s Degree program, whilst working in close consultation with the Head, Physical Sciences and associated academic team members as well as industry.
- Lecture and/or tutor; subject coordination responsibilities as well as other service teaching duties
- Work closely with online educational providers and expert academics in the development of online content to ensure course design is aligned with subject learning outcomes, attractive to students and linked with industry requirements.
- Undertake teaching delivery, assessment activities and student consultation duties where required for the undergraduate and Master of Data Science program.
What you can bring
We are looking for a qualified and experienced statistician/data scientist, with skills in big data (management, processing and analysis), data visualisation, statistics, data mining, modelling and database systems who will relish this unique opportunity to be involved in designing and delivering new subjects.
You will also have:
- Doctoral (PhD) or Masters qualification in Data Science, Statistics or a related field
- Professional experience in data driven industry environments and exceptional coordination skills.
- Proven ability and/or experience with various statistical software packages including R, SAS, Python, SQL, Hadoop, Spark, Tableau, and Excel.
About the College of Science & Engineering
As part of the Division of Tropical Environments and Societies, the College of Science and Engineering promotes, supports and administers quality teaching, hands-on experiences, industry placements and research at JCU in the areas of Marine Biology & Aquaculture, Zoology and Ecology, Geoscience, Environmental Management, Physical Sciences, and Engineering.
Consistently ranked in the top 2% of universities worldwide, JCU is one of the world’s leading institutions focussing on the tropics and offers a culturally diverse working environment with opportunities for professional and personal growth. JCU prides itself on being dedicated to teaching, learning and research that is not only of high quality, but also delivers practical benefits to the peoples and industries of the region.
We support our people through the provision of:
- generous superannuation scheme with 17% employer contributions
- ongoing professional and career development
- five weeks’ annual recreation leave with attractive options for salary packaging
- well-equipped, modern facilities including on-campus shopping, gym, pool and childcare
- balance of work and life so you can enjoy a relaxed lifestyle that supports a diverse range of leisure and sporting interests