Associate/Full Professor of Plant Molecular Biology and Physiology
Qatar University Profile:
Qatar University is the premier national institution of higher education with a mission to produce well-rounded graduates with academic knowledge of quality and excellence coupled with a keen spirit of volunteerism and civic responsibility. This is underpinned by committed leadership and an experienced and motivated faculty and staff body.
The College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) houses ten departments, covering a wide range of undergraduate specializations in the Arts and Science sincluding English Literature & Linguistics and Arabic Languages,History, Sociology, Social Work, International Affairs, Mass Communication , Psychology , Policy, Planning & Development,Statistics, Chemistry, Biological Sciences, Environmental Sciences,Public Health , Biomedical Sciences and Human Nutrition. The College also houses four Master Programs which are in Environmental Sciences,Biomedical Sciences, Gulf Studies, and Arabic Language. In Fall 2013,CAS will launch a new master program in Material Sciences and a PhD in Biological and Environmental Sciences. Additionally, the College offers a Program of Arabic for Non- Native Speakers.
It is worth mentioning that as members of QU, CAS faculty members have excellent opportunities to secure intramural and extramural funding for their research ideas. Qatar National Research Fund (QNRF) is major source of research funding, with individual project funding limit exceeding 1 million/project (5 million exceptional projects) along with student research funding programs. As the national and largest University in the country, Qatar University is the recipient of most of QNRF awards, with many research- active faculty members able to win multiple grants.
Departmentof Biological and Environmental Sciences
The Department of Biological and Environmental Sciences at Qatar University offers two undergraduate programs: B.Sc. in Biological science and B.Sc. in Environmental Science in addition to two Graduate programs. The graduate programs offered by the department are the Master of Science in Environmental Science and the Doctor of Philosophy in Biological and Environmental Sciences.
The Department of Biological and Environmental Sciences is seeking a highly motivated individual who has a PhD in Plant Molecular Biology and Physiology or in a close related specialization with emphasis on desert plant and haline stress.The successful candidate is expected to excel in teaching, to establish a research program, to mentor undergraduate and graduate student's research, and to provide Departmental, University and community services. The start date of the position is for Mid-August 2018.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Teach undergraduate and/or graduate courses in the area of expertise particularly General Biology, Cell Biology, Plant Physiology, Plant Anatomy, Plant tissue culture, Plant Molecular Biology, Plant and seed Biotechnology, Genetics.
- Supervise graduate thesis research (M.Sc. and PhD) in the area of expertise
- Write research proposals and initiate high quality research in the area of expertise
- Contribute to various committees at the Program, College, and University level
- Contribute to the research profile of College through research publications
- Other responsibilities as assigned by the Head of Department
- Doctorate(PhD) degree in the area of Plant Molecular Biology
- A record of distinguished scholarship (peer reviewed publication record),grant-funded research, and graduate student mentorship in the last 5years.
- A minimum teaching experience of 5 years at university levels, graduate teaching and thesis supervision are preferred.
- Familiar with Educational technologies used in higher education sector
- Willingness to work with teams
- Awareness of working with people from diverse backgrounds
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Current Curriculum Vitea.
- Cover letter.
- Teaching, research, and service philosophy.
- Three referees’ contact information (physical and email addresses as well their telephones contact).
- Copy of highest earned credential (transcript of highest degree if graduated from an institution where course work was completed. However, if no course work was completed, an copy of certificate letter from the registrar of your highest credential granting institution regarding your highest academic degree).
- Any additional documentation that you feel is relevant to your application.
- A three-year renewable contract.
- Salary is commensurate with experience.
- Tax-free salary.
- Furnished accommodation in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual round trip air tickets for faculty member and dependents in accordance with QUHR policies.
- Educational allowance for candidate's children (eligible candidates only) in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Private health care and health insurance in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual leave in accordance with QU HR policies.
- End-of-contract indemnity.
How To Apply
Returning Applicant: Please login to update/edit your saved profile. Use this profile to apply for this position.
New Applicant: You need to setup an account with QU Recruitment Online System and complete your personal profile. Once your profile is complete you may use it to apply for an open Position.