Research Assistant in Mechanical Engineering
The newly-established Khalifa University of Science and Technology combines The Masdar Institute of Science and Technology, Khalifa University of Science, Technology and Research and The Petroleum Institute into one world-class, research-intensive institution, seamlessly integrating research and education to produce world leaders and critical thinkers in applied science and engineering. Khalifa University of Science and Technology endeavors to be a leader among research intensive universities of the 21st century, while catalyzing the growth of Abu Dhabi and the UAE’s rapidly developing knowledge economy.
- To provide high quality research support and undertake internationally competitive research aimed at publication thereby contributing to the academic and research mission of the University.
- Ability to present research plans and findings in a convincing style, both in oral and written modes of communication.
- The Research associate will participate in the analysis, design, and testing of corrosion sensors. The candidates will be a part of a research team working on the development of sensing solutions for monitoring integrity of oil and gas infrastructure and at the same time conduct corrosion test coupon with specific chemical solutions to obtain corrosion rate of X65 and X70 pipelines. The candidate will interact and coordinate his or her activities with faculty, other research associates, lab engineers, and graduate students involved in the project.
- Assist in the development of novel sensing concepts and sensor configurations to monitor external and internal corrosion of oil and gas pipelines
- Perform corrosion rate tests on X65 and X70 test coupons
- Perform mechanical stress analysis, if needed.
- Design experimental setups for sensor testing
- Develop 3-D models of sensors and corresponding working and assembly drawings
- Evaluate sensor performance by conducting accelerated corrosion tests and analyzing test data
- Communicate analysis, design, and test results via technical reports and weekly presentations.
- The RA will work with the MSc students involved in this project and at times, he or she will lead them, when necessary.
- B.Sc. in Mechanical Engineering is required, M.Sc. in Mechanical Engineering is preferred.
- Demonstrated proficiency with SolidWorks, Matlab.
- Experience doing corrosion rate tests is a big plus.
- Demonstrated experience in machining and use of instrumentation.
- Experience with fiber optic sensors such as FBG strain gages and corresponding optical interrogation equipment is a plus.
- Demonstrated effective oral and written communication skills
- Very Desirable: experience with conducting accelerated corrosion tests
How To Apply
You will be required to attach the following:
- Passport-size photograph
- Teaching and Research Statement