Postdoctoral Fellow in Biomedical Engineering
5 days left
- Full Time
The newly-established Khalifa University of Science and Technology combines The Masdar Institute of Science and Technology, Khalifa University of Science, Technology and Research and The Petroleum Institute into one world-class, research-intensive institution, seamlessly integrating research and education to produce world leaders and critical thinkers in applied science and engineering. Khalifa University of Science and Technology endeavors to be a leader among research intensive universities of the 21st century, while catalyzing the growth of Abu Dhabi and the UAE’s rapidly developing knowledge economy.
To provide high quality research support and undertake internationally competitive research aimed at publication thereby contributing to the academic and research mission of the University.
Since the Postdoctoral experience is transitional to becoming an independent researcher or faculty member, the Postdoctoral tries their best to acquire the varied skills necessary to advance their career with guidance from the advisor. These skills include, but are not limited to, the ability to present research plans and findings in a convincing style, both in oral and written modes of communication, the ability to understand research group management and supervision of others, the ability to establish contacts and network with colleagues pursuing a similar research agenda, the ability to organize and teach a class or a course if more inclined towards a teaching career.
- This multidisciplinary project combines mechanochemistry, microbiology, synthetic biology, synthetic organic chemistry, solid-state computational chemistry and process optimization techniques in order to develop a novel, green process for the degradation of environmentally harmful persistent organic pollutants (POPs), specifically polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs). Microbial organisms have been shown to be capable of the bioremediation of organic waste materials. The research work will use novel isolation techniques and genomic, transcriptomic, and proteomic approaches to understand the metabolic potential of UAE-native microorganisms for the bioremediation of PAHs. We will use genetic engineering and synthetic biology to identify secondary metabolite pathways and to isolate the secondary metabolites (e.g. surfactants) produced by microorganisms adapted to the degradation of PAHs. These secondary metabolites will be used as catalysts to aid the degradation of PAHs during mechanochemical processes. The postdoctoral fellow will pioneer the use of catalytic biosurfactants isolated from microbial organisms and test the efficacy of a novel biosurfactant catalyzed mechanochemical remediation process that can facilitate the degradation of large-molecular weight PAHs into smaller-molecular weight byproducts.
- This project is interdisciplinary in nature, relevant to the local economy and aims to solve a major environmental and technical challenge facing a number of UAE industries. This project aims to: 1) Develop “clean and renewable” sources of energy by validating green synthetic strategies that can produce chemical precursors starting with toxic solid waste products; 2) Develop novel mechanochemical and biological processes for degrading POPs and aid in addressing the UAE’s waste recycling and remediation challenges. We anticipate many opportunities for vertical and horizontal knowledge transfer to students and the wider society within Abu Dhabi resulting from this project in areas as diverse as computer modelling, bioengineering, chemical engineering and synthetic chemistry.
- The Post-Doctoral Researcher will be part of a multidisciplinary team performing research leading to high impact publications that span the boundaries of materials chemistry and synthetic biology. They are expected to be highly organized, self-motivated, flexible, eager to identify and implement improvements to protocols and processes, and to be a strong team player. The Post-Doctoral Researcher will perform mentoring and capacity building activities to PhD, Master, and undergraduate students along with writing original research manuscripts that will arise from the performed research.
- In addition to performing research leading to high-impact publications in peer-reviewed materials chemistry journals, the postdoctoral fellow will work as part of a multidisciplinary team of molecular biologists, bioinformatics experts, chemists and chemical engineers in order to facilitate the deliverables of this exciting project.
- The postdoctoral fellow will assist with the supervision and training of graduate students (PhD/MSc) in all aspects of their thesis work. The postdoctoral fellow will also support the training and development of undergraduate students on an ad hoc basis.
- PhD in Bioengineering or Allied Field
- The right candidate will possess expertise in the fields of Molecular Microbiology, Synthetic Biology, Metabolic Engineering, Enzymology, and Bioinformatics and should have demonstrable experience in synthetic biology, cell culture, genomics, transcriptomics, and enzymology. They are expected to be highly organized, self-motivated, flexible, eager to identify and implement improvements to protocols and processes, and to be a strong team player. This job requires a highly dedicated individual, who is a quick learner and enjoys a challenge.
How To Apply
You will be required to attach the following:
- Passport-size photograph
- Teaching and Research Statement