Research Associate/Senior Research Associate in Electrical Engineering
- One of Australia’s leading research & teaching universities
- Vibrant campus life with a strong sense of community & inclusion
- Enjoy a career that makes a difference by collaborating & learning from the best
At UNSW, we pride ourselves on being a workplace where the best people come to do their best work.
The Faculty of Engineering at UNSW is a national and international leader in engineering research and education and is the University’s premier research Faculty. It is the largest Engineering Faculty in Australia, graduating the largest number of engineers and with the largest research expenditure. Through excellence in fundamental and applied research the Faculty aims to be placed in the top 20 internationally by 2025.
The School of Electrical Engineering and Telecommunications has a vibrant research culture reflected in the achievements of its academic staff, and is currently rated as a level 5 ERA School (“Well above world standard”) in each of the 2010, 2012 and 2015 Excellence in Research Australia evaluations.
About the role
- A$73,597- $110,413 plus 17% Superannuation and annual leave loading
- Fixed term contract (36 months)
- Full-time (35 hours per week)
The position is an academic research role to contribute or lead the ARENA project “Addressing barriers to efficient renewable integration”. The Research Associate will develop a composite distributed energy resource (DER)-load model for use in dynamic power system modelling platforms (for example, PSCAD). The Research Associate will analyse and interpret power system data collected from high speed disturbance recorders located in various distribution and transmission networks around Australia. The Research Associate will work closely with the industry partners to develop a new standard model for power system studies of the NEM.
About the successful applicant
To be successful in this role you will have but not limited to
- A PhD in Electrical Engineering awarded in the last 5 years or equivalent research experience in an industry environment;
- A minimum 3 years of experience in in power system load modelling or a similar area.
- Proven experience in utilising state-of-the-art power system modelling tools such as PSCAD and/or RSCAD;
- Demonstrated ability to conduct independent research with limited supervision;
- Demonstrated track record of publications and conference presentations relative to opportunity;
- Demonstrated understanding of operational requirements for a successful research project and managing resources;
Please detail which level you would like to apply for and systematically address the selection criteria listed within the position description in your application. Please apply online - applications will not be accepted if sent to the contact listed.
Talent Acquisition Consultant
T: (61 2) 9385 2397