Post-Doctoral Fellow in 3D Computer Visualisation Aesthetics
5 days left
- Full Time
- One of Australia’s leading research & teaching universities
- Vibrant campus life with a strong sense of community & inclusion
- Enjoy a career that makes a difference by collaborating & learning from the best
At UNSW, we pride ourselves on being a workplace where the best people come to do their best work.
An exciting opportunity is available for a talented creative early-career researcher to join the UNSW Art & Design Faculty, working in the area of 3D Computer Visualisation Aesthetics. The Post-Doctoral Fellow will be tasked to design new modes of interaction and evaluation of 3D interactive Virtual Reality (VR) experiences.
The Post-Doctoral Fellow will also be working collaboratively with the ARC Centre of Excellence in Bio-Nano Science and Technology (CBNS) investigating new creative ways of interacting with complex 3D real-time immersive data visualisations and narratives. This is a fixed term 2-year full-time, research-only position.
The 3D Visualisation Aesthetics Lab (3D VAL) is an interdisciplinary award-winning research lab that explores digital design-led approaches to visualising data. The team uses the creative technologies and narrative approaches seen in the video games, film, visual effects and interaction design fields to challenge established immersive aesthetics.
The lab brings together art and design-led researchers, biomedical scientists, clinical imaging professionals, 3D CGI artists, real-time developers and computer scientists.
Since the Lab’s establishment in 2014, the 3D VAL has exhibited nationally and internationally and has attracted academic research funding. Project collaborators include St Vincent’s Hospital in Sydney, the ARC Centre of Excellence in Bio-Nano Science and Technology (CBNS) and the Garvan Institute of Medical Research, Sydney.
Based on the success and continued growth of the research work, the 3D VAL is fast becoming a world leading centre in VR-based biomedical visualisation. As the labs research work has grown in academic stature and profile, it has gained significant media attention. In 2016 alone, the 3D VAL’s work was covered by Wired, Mashable, National Geographic, Sydney Morning Herald and New Scientist, as well as Australian television stations SBS and the ABC. The 3D VAL also featured in the Australian ABC’s flagship science TV show Catalyst. https://artdesign.unsw.edu.au/3DVAL
About the role
- $91K to $98K per annum, plus 17% Superannuation and annual leave loading
- 2 Year Fixed Term Contract
- Full time
About the successful applicant
We are looking for an outstanding Post-Doctoral researcher. The applicant must have a creative research background in Digital Interaction Design with experience in evaluation methods for interactive experiences, ideally in VR. The applicant should also be familiar with VR head-mounted display platforms such as HTC Vive and Oculus Rift. Experience in developing content in Unity3D would be beneficial along with an established creative practice. Applicants should also have published academic outputs in at least one of the following Fields of Research: Computer Gaming, 3D Animation, Electronic Media Art, Virtual Reality, Digital Interaction Design.
To be successful in this role you will have:
- PhD in a discipline relevant to 3D VR such as Digital Interaction Design or 3D Computer Arts.
- Ability to conduct research in the field, demonstrated through a record of publications in high ranking journals and conferences.
- Ability to design and deploy evaluations of Design-led VR experiences.
- Excellent written communication skills demonstrated by a proven record of paper and report writing.
- Proven ability and commitment to attract research funding and contribute to academic-industry collaborations.
You should systematically address the selection criteria listed within the position description in your application. Please apply online - applications will not be accepted if sent to the contact listed.
Application closes: 11:55 pm on Sunday 22nd July 2018