Are you an enthusiastic, talented and experienced software engineer, at ease with the latest Java and web technologies? Are you willing to take a major role in the design and implementation of the next generation of cloud applications and infrastructures to be used by the CERN's community? Then join CERN and take part in one of the most incredible scientific experiments in the world!
You will join:
The Database Services (DB) Group, in charge of Java cloud, is responsible for all aspects of the Java platforms design, provision and operation.
The CERN openlab, a unique public-private partnership between CERN and leading ICT companies. Its mission is to accelerate the development of cutting- edge solutions to be used by the worldwide Large Hadron Collider community.
More information on the Database group is at: http://cern.ch/it-dep/db/
More information concerning the CERN openlab partnership at: http://openlab.web.cern.ch
More information on the Department is at: http://cern.ch/it-dep/
As a Research Cloud Engineer in the CERN openlab, Information Technology (IT) Department, Database Services (DB) Group your main activities will consist of:
- Research and development of new cloud based infrastructure capable of hosting CERN applications.
- Collaborate with CERN openlab industry partner (Oracle), present work results in conferences, publish papers explaining your work.
- Migration of production CERN Java applications to Kubernetes (OpenStack Magnum).
- Design solutions for cloud based disaster recovery solutions for CERN applications and databases.
- Encourage adoptions of new cloud based technologies amongst CERN developers.
- Evaluate security constrains of proposed solutions.
- Study innovative approaches for Java application Cloud deployment, design and evaluate the use of external providers as means of provisioning CERN applications.
- Investigate technologies that help improve efficiency of hosting solutions.
- Share domain and technical expertise, providing technical mentorship and specific training to peers.