Professor of Anthropology
Ollscoil Mhá Nuad
Maynooth University (National University of Ireland, Maynooth) is the fastest growing university in Ireland with over 10,000 students and outstanding research and scholarship in the sciences, humanities and social sciences.
The university is now entering a new and exciting phase of its development, with a new strategic plan centred on further enhancing our academic programmes, providing a distinctive student experience of the highest quality, focusing our research activities on a small number of priority themes, and further internationalising the university. To support this development, the university is seeking to recruit outstanding academics, with a strong track record of research and teaching, to the following position:
Department of Anthropology
Professor of Anthropology
Maynooth University is committed to a strategy in which the primary University goals of excellent research and scholarship and outstanding education are interlinked and equally valued. Professors will be expected to provide significant intellectual leadership, through a demonstrated commitment to both education and research, and to contribute to the effective leadership and management of the Department, the Faculty and the University.
We are seeking an academic with an outstanding record to join our staff as Professor of Anthropology. The person appointed will have an excellent record of teaching, research and publication. He/she will be expected to make a strong contribution to the teaching, research and profile of the University, and to provide ongoing leadership for the discipline.
A Professor of the University is expected to:
- Be an international leader in research and scholarship and contribute to the advancement of knowledge in the field;
- Provide leadership in research and scholarship within the Department, Faculty and University;
- Provide leadership in teaching and learning, and encourage innovation in teaching and learning amongst staff;
- Contribute to the teaching of undergraduate and postgraduate students, including lecturing, consultations with individual students, and supervision of research students;
- Contribute to the development of the curriculum and academic programmes within the discipline and more generally;
- Assume responsibilities for management and administrative tasks associated with the Department, Faculty and University;
- Be an active member of the University and contribute to the work of the University in outreach, collaboration, internationalisation, engagement and policy development.
The ideal candidate will have:
- An outstanding record of research and scholarship, reflected in an excellent publication profile;
- An outstanding academic record as a teacher and an educational innovator;
- The capacity to offer strong academic leadership within the Department and across the University;
- Demonstrated management and administrative skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- The ability to build effective relationships with a wide variety of internal and external colleagues.
- An outstanding record of ethnographic research rooted in a regional focus that complements the existing geographical expertise in the Department of Anthropology;
Professors of the University are required to serve as Head of Department when requested to do so by the President. The person appointed to this role will be expected to serve as Head of Department for an initial period of at least five years and for regular periods thereafter, as determined by the President.
For further details including full comprehensive job description please see the Maynooth University vacancies page at: https://www.maynoothuniversity.ie/human-resources/vacancies