Elementary School Teacher
Institute of Science and Technology
Elementary School Teacher
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST) is a model for change in education and research with the best international graduate students, working side by side with world-class faculty in modern well-equipped laboratories. Beautifully situated on the island of Okinawa, OIST relies on a cross-disciplinary approach, with an emphasis on creativity and exchange, to offer unique, individualized graduate training. OIST is a university with no departments, eliminating artificial barriers between people working in different fields, but many nationalities, with students and faculty being attracted from all over the world. Concentrating initially on Neuroscience, Molecular Sciences, Mathematical Sciences, Environmental and Ecological Sciences and Physical Sciences, OIST is bringing some of the best brains in the world to Okinawa to transform the way science and education is done in the global academic world.
Many of the diverse individuals who work and study at OIST come to Okinawa with their families. OIST is committed to supporting the educational opportunities for their children. By collaborating with the local elementary school in Onna village, OIST supports the children of OIST employees who attend the local public school (Onna elementary school) by staffing an international classroom. In the international classroom, the Elementary School Teacher from OIST will work closely with the full-time, English-speaking, native Japanese teacher to support the children attending the school. Support in the English language as well as in math and science is provided to 10-12 children in grades 1-6. This number is expected to continue to grow each year as OIST grows.
Children of OIST employees also attend other schools besides the Onna elementary school and many of these children attend our After-School Program. Children ages 5-12 spend their afternoons on campus until their parents pick them up after work. OIST also offers a Holiday Program during school breaks throughout the year, offering extracurricular activities and occasionally arranging field trips for the children who attend.
As part of continued efforts to improve the educational environment for children of employees and students, OIST is seeking to appoint an Elementary School Teacher. The teacher will co-manage and teach in the international classroom at Onna Elementary School. In addition, s/he will assist the After-School and Holiday Programs.
1. Support Onna Elementary School by contributing to the design and delivery of curricula using English as the language of instruction.
2. As necessary and appropriate, with the concurrence of school authorities, contribute to teaching in English in the integrated program, and within the OIST CDC After School and Holiday Program.
3. Assist in the implementation of the daily After School program.
4. Prepare the learning environment by setting up centers at the After School and gathering supplies and materials.
5. Collaborate with other aides, teachers and administrators of After school and Holiday Programs.
6. Maintain an updated database of all children attending Onna Elementary School.
Flextime (core time 10:00-15:00) 7.5hrs per day (Multiplied by prescribed working days per month)
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Annual salary: 3.2 million yen ~ 6.0 million yen (Job class: Administrative staff II, A2)
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ ), welfare pension
insurance (kousei-nenkin), worker’s accident compensation insurance
1. Curriculum vita in English
2. Cover letter in English
3. Names and contact information of 3~5 referees, one of which should be a previous employer
4. Copy of teaching license
* We may require a background check from your country upon hire.
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
As soon as possible
Application Due Date:
The application deadline is Friday, July 31. Applications will be reviewed as they are received.
Please submit all required application materials by email to:
Or send documents via post mail to:
Recruiting Team, HR Management Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1, Onna, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
* OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity and inclusiveness of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
* All information provided by applicants and references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
* Please view our policy for rules on external professional activities
* Further details about the University can be viewed on our website (www.oist.jp).