Postdoc position - Neuronal mechanism for critical period Unit
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology
(Postdoc position available/ Neuronal mechanism for critical period Unit)
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
We seek postdocs who will work in the Neuronal mechanism for critical period Unit (Principal Investigator: Yoko Yazaki-Sugiyama). Our research unit works on the brain mechanism for bird song learning. Postdocs are expected to work on one of the following projects:
1) Identifying brain mechanism of auditory information processing for song learning in zebra finch. (ref: Araki et al, Science 2016, 354: 1282-1287)
2) Revealing neuronal mechanism for regulation of song memory formation by social interaction.
(ref: Yanagihara & Yazaki-Sugiyama 2018, Behav Process, 10.1016/j.beproc.2018.04.003; 2016, Nat. Commun, doi: 10.1038/NCOMMS11946) However, other projects are also welcome with discussions.
Neuronal mechanism for critical period Unit (Principal Investigator: Yoko Yazaki-Sugiyama)
1919-1 Tancha, Onna-son, Okinawa, Japan 904-0495
- Ph. D. degree and communication skills in English or Japanese are required
- Experience in neurobiology or neuroscience filed is required.
- Experiences in electrophysiology is advanced
Professor Yoko Yazaki-Sugiyama / Neuronal mechanism for critical period Unit
As early as possible (negotiable)
Term & Working hours:
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 3 years.
Working hours: 9:00-17:30 (Discretionary)
Compensation & Benefits:
Compensation in accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
- Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
- Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How to Apply:
Apply by emailing your Submission Documents to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Curriculum vita in English (and Japanese if available)
- Cover letter in English (and Japanese if available)
- Names and contact information of 3~5 referees, one of which should be a previous employer
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
Application Due Date:
Applications deadline will continue until the position is filled.
(Applications will be screened upon arrival)
* OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
* Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
* Please view our policy for rules on external professional activities
* Further details about the University can be viewed on our website (www.oist.jp).
Apply for Postdoc position - Neuronal mechanism for critical period Unit
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly