Postdoc position in Quantum Transport and Electronic Structure Theory Unit
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology
(Postdoc positions in Quantum Transport and Electronic Structure Theory Unit)
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
"There are several openings for postdoctoral researchers available in the newly established Quantum Transport and Electronic Structure Theory Unit (QTESTU) at Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST).
Research in the QTESTU is headed by Prof. Fabian Pauly and covers a broad range of topics in condensed matter theory. Work ongoing or planned is related to quantum transport of charge and heat, molecular electronics and nanoelectronics, nanoscale thermoelectricity and nanophononics, magnetic nanostructures, current-induced atomic motion, two-dimensional materials, polaron transport, electronic correlations, superconductivity, excited states and hot carrier dynamics. We address these problems by using both analytical and numerical techniques of solid-state physics. Typically, we model material-specific aspects through ab-initio electronic structure theory, in particular density functional theory and many-body perturbation theory. We actively develop electronic structure methods to make advances in the description of the systems and in the properties mentioned above. In addition, we pursue the general goal to close existing gaps between solid-state and quantum-chemistry communities. Beyond purely theoretical projects, the research unit maintains close collaborations with leading experimental groups in the respective research fields.
Applicants are ideally expected to have both a strong analytical and numerical background, including experience with development and application of ab-initio electronic structure techniques. But also strong candidates with exclusive experience in either analytics or numerics will be considered."
1919-1 Tancha, Onna-son, Okinawa, Japan 904-0495
Perform innovative research in the QTESTU under the supervision of the unit head, Prof. Fabian Pauly, in the field of theoretical condensed matter theory. Participation in group seminars, presentation of research results at international conferences, publication of research results in scientific journals. Active role in potential collaborations with theoretical and experimental groups.
- PhD in theoretical physics or a related discipline.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Ability to work in an international team of researchers.
Professor Fabian Pauly / Quantum Transport and Electronic Structure Theory Unit
As early as possible
Term & Working hours:
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment. Postdoctoral positions will normally be held for a period of 3 years.
Working hours: 9:00-17:30 (Discretionary)
Compensation & Benefits:
Compensation in accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
- Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
- Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How to Apply:
Apply by emailing your submission documents to email@example.com.
- Cover letter (1-2 pages), stating your motivation to apply, your research interests and goals,
- Curriculum vitae, including publication list,
- BSc, MSc and PhD certificates, including grades,
- Contact information of at least 2 referees, one of which should be a previous employer.
Application Due Date:
Applications will be considered until the posts are filled.
(Applications will be screened upon arrival)
* OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
* Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
* Please view our policy for rules on external professional activities (https://groups.oist.jp/acd/information-disclosure/).
* Further details about the University can be viewed on our website (www.oist.jp).