Sydney Microscopy & Microanalysis
- Opportunity to provide administrative and project support services at the Sydney Microscopy & Microanalysis Core Research Facility
- Located at Camperdown Campus
- Full-time continuing appointment with an $84Kp.a remuneration package, which includes leave loading and up to 17% super
About the opportunity
The Administration Officer runs the reception desk of the facility and performs general administrative and project duties under general direction including diary management, preparing documents, maintaining records, updating website content, committee servicing, responding to queries, and sourcing solutions for the work area. This role requires strong administrative and organisational skills in order to coordinate and undertake a range of operational activities on an ongoing basis.
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance of recruiting talent aligned to these values and are looking for an Administration Officer who possesses:
- Tertiary qualifications in business, HR or finance, and/or equivalent relevant business administration experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with experience in handling a wide range of enquiries and providing excellent customer service
- Well-developed negotiation, conflict resolution, relationship building and influencing skills
- Strong problem-solving skills and the ability to use initiative and exercise sound judgement and ability to prioritise workload during busy periods
- Ability to respond to a range of enquiries via telephone, email, and in person from staff, students, visitors and users regarding a wide range of SMM activities
- Demonstrated experience in coordinating diaries, meetings and events and liaising with suppliers to keep office supplies stocked to support the efficient operation of the office and team members
Working knowledge of Sydney University systems such as Peoplesoft Finance Systems, Concur, Records Management and Content Management Systems is highly advantageous.
Sydney Microscopy & Microanalysis (SMM) is the University’s largest core facility and provides specialist microscopy and microanalysis equipment and services within the multidisciplinary Australian Centre for Microscopy & Microanalysis (ACMM). SMM is one of the largest and most comprehensive facilities of its kind in the world. It provides access to world class instruments, specialist staff, services and training to enable research into physical and biological structures at micro, nano and atomic scales. SMM is available to researchers from research institutions, government and industry. The mission of SMM is to provide a core set of state-of-the-art microscopy and microanalysis services to researchers. SMM currently operates a suite of instruments across 4 nodes around the University (Madsen Building, Charles Perkins Centre, Brain and Mind Centre and Sydney Nanoscience Hub). SMM is also the Sydney Node of Microscopy Australia (MA), a national research infrastructure facility that is a collaboration of microscopy and microanalysis laboratories across Australia.
Since our inception 160 years ago, the University of Sydney has led to improve the world around us. We believe in education for all and that effective leadership makes lives better. These same values are reflected in our approach to diversity and inclusion, and underpin our long-term strategy for growth. We’re Australia's first university and have an outstanding global reputation for academic and research excellence. Across our campuses, we employ over 7600 academic and non-academic staff who support over 60,000 students.
We are undergoing significant transformative change which brings opportunity for innovation, progressive thinking, breaking with convention, challenging the status quo, and improving the world around us.
How to apply
For more information on the position and University, please view the candidate information pack available from the job’s listing on the University of Sydney careers website.
All applications must be submitted via the University of Sydney careers website. Visit sydney.edu.au/recruitment and search by the reference number to apply.
Please note: visa sponsorship is not available for this position
Closing date: 11:30pm Wednesday 20th June 2018
The University of Sydney is committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications from people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; equity target groups including women, people with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTIQ; and people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent, are encouraged.
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.