Higher Degree by Research, Communication Adviser
CENTRE FOR LEARNING AND TEACHING
JOONDALUP AND MOUNT LAWLEY CAMPUSES
$98,558—$111,206 (HEW 8)
FULL TIME, ONGOING
Edith Cowan University is a large multi-campus university with a rich history in Western Australian education. The Centre for Learning and Teaching at Edith Cowan University delivers a comprehensive suite of services and programmes that promotes high quality learning and teaching outcomes for students and academic staff. Based predominantly at the Joondalup Campus, the Centre for Learning and Teaching plays a key role in designing and implementing future teaching and learning strategies and enhancing the student experience.
The Centre for Learning and Teaching is seeking a dynamic, innovative and experienced Higher Degree by Research (HDR) Communication Adviser to work within a small team dedicated to developing postgraduate research students’ communication skills. With specialist qualifications in learning support and/or research communication, the successful applicant will enact an evidenced-based approach to the development of oral and written communication skills, supporting ECU’s strategic directions in research training. Based at the Joondalup campus, the HDR Communication Adviser will contribute to the development of high quality resources for both online and on campus students and develop highly collaborative relationships with the academic and student support communities.
- Completion of a relevant doctoral qualification, or equivalent expertise gained from a combination of research degree, experience and professional accreditation
- Demonstrated expert knowledge of current pedagogies relevant to academic writing and oral communication in higher degree research environments
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience of techniques for improving HDR writing and oral communication skills, including structuring academic arguments and documents, and thesis, exegesis and oral examination preparation
- Proven ability to diagnose, correct and explain patterns of English grammar errors in student writing, ideally gained through a CELTA or TESOL qualification
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in the development of programs to increase online engagement and support of HDR student learning
- Strong interpersonal skills and experience supporting people of diverse cultural backgrounds
- A highly collaborative approach with a record of having achieved significant goals through teamwork
You will also demonstrate personal attributes that are congruent with the University’s values of Integrity, Respect, Rational Inquiry and Personal Excellence.
Benefits & Remuneration
This full time, ongoing position attracts remuneration of $98,558—$111,206 plus 17% University superannuation contribution.
ECU supports a work/life balance for staff. Benefits such as flexible working arrangements may also be negotiated to meet your personal circumstances.
ECU has an Award-winning Health and Wellness Program and an extensive range of staff benefits across entertainment, financial, health, travel and consumer goods and services.
For information on the benefits of working at ECU, please visit our Employment Opportunities website.
Interested applicants are welcome to call Kylie Stevenson on (08) 6304 6437 for more information.
How to Apply
Please upload your resume along with a concise statement addressing the selection criteria above with reference to the Position Description.
Applications close on Sunday 1st July 2018 at 11:30pm WST.
PLEASE NOTE: BECAUSE THIS IS AN ONGOING POSITION, APPLICATIONS WILL ONLY BE ACCEPTED FROM CANDIDATES WHO HAVE EITHER PERMANENT RESIDENCY OR AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP.
ECU is diverse and inclusive workplace reflecting the differences in society. Specific strategies and initiatives are in place to address underrepresentation of specific groups. Applications are encouraged from suitably qualified people from all backgrounds.