Technical Team Manager
School of Engineering, Faculty of Science and Engineering
Macquarie is a university engaged with the real and often complex problems and opportunities that define our lives.
Since our foundation 54 years ago, we have aspired to be a different type of university: one unbound by ivory towers and sandstone walls. Rather, we are focused on fostering collaboration between students, academics, industry and society, encouraging all to traverse the boundaries of their own perspective and affect change.
Over the years, we’ve grown to become the centre of a vibrant local and global community. A place of constant stimulus and human interaction.
Together, we advance world-class theoretical thinking and translate it into real-world solutions. We’re connecting people across the most diverse fields of knowledge to create bold new possibilities: for their careers, intellectual endeavours, enterprises and the common good.
At Macquarie, people become skilled at switching between specialist and generalist mindsets; mastering complexity, thinking holistically and helping to create a better future.
Connect with us today.
The technical team supporting the School of Engineering is looking for an enthusiastic and skilled individual to join our team. As one of two Technical Team Managers you will provide specialist technical and administrative support for the School's Electrical Engineering teaching and research laboratories.
Over the next five years there will be an off-site expansion and design the School’s permanent technical facilities on campus. The role will have an opportunity for significant contribution to design, planning and relocation projects.
Reporting to the Dean, School of Engineering you will:
- Work closely with Academic staff and manage the operations of the departments laboratories, actively ensuring that teaching and research needs are met.
- Manage, mentor and develop a team of technical specialists.
- Demonstrate the use of equipment and the running of experiments for students in teaching and practical sessions.
- Identify specialist equipment needs and coordinate the proposal, purchasing, installation and maintenance of the equipment and associated facilities.
- Design, prepare, test and maintain equipment for practical classes and oversee the development of teaching material and guides for practical sessions.
- Be a Work Health & Safety (WHS) ambassador and ensure WHS is actively maintained in the lab setting including the running of WHS inductions and the maintenance of risk management protocols.
To be considered for this position you will need to submit, as part of your application, a separate document responding to the below selection criteria.
- Degree in Engineering or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
- Demonstrated understanding of and experience in operating both general laboratory equipment and specialist equipment
- Track record of demonstrating and running experiments in a teaching or laboratory environment
- A successful track record of writing technical reports and maintaining documentation for an active and busy laboratory (including WHS records or protocols)
- Experience contributing to the design of technical facilities
- Project management and change management experience
Role specific conditions: Start or end times may vary based on classes scheduled between 8am and 6pm
Salary Package: From $91,685 to $99,406 p.a. (Level 7), plus 17% employer's superannuation and annual leave loading.
Appointment Type: Full-time, continuing
Specific Role Enquiries: Martina Stiemer, Department Manager firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications Close: Sunday 8th July 2018 at 11.55pm
Macquarie University is an EO Employer committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications are encouraged from people with a disability; women (particularly for senior and non-traditional roles); Indigenous Australians, people who identify as GLBTI; and those from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.
Applications need to be submitted through the Macquarie University online recruitment system. Where circumstances such as disability or remote location prohibit your access to our online system please contact the enquiries person listed in this advertisement for assistance