The purpose of CSU’s Bio-safety Level 3 (BSL3) facilities is to provide a safe working environment for research on highly pathogenic biological agents. The laboratories in these buildings specialize in working with pathogens that are infectious and transmitted via aerosols. The infectious Disease Research Center (IDRC) currently consists of five facilities that require constant maintenance and upkeep to provide safe and clean working conditions. The building complex will be the primary area for this work unit.
This Laboratory Custodian will be in charge of processing biological materials out of the barrier and providing logistical support inside the Bio-containment barrier. Employees placed in this position will review conditions inside the barrier spaces to determine safe and consistent operation conditions, and respond to issues with standard equipment. This position will follow procedures and communicate issues to the Operations group and Facilities group for proper repair and corrective facility actions.
To be considered for this position, applicants must have:
- One year of full-time commercial custodial experience.
Substitutions Preferred Qualifications
The highly desired candidate will possess the following knowledge, skills, abilities, personal characteristics, and experience directly related and critical to this position:
- Commercial custodial experience within a hospital, research lab, or veterinary hospital.
- Barrier maintenance experience (bio-safety laboratory is highly desired).
- Demonstrated experience working with infectious materials.
- Strong verbal communication skills.
- Experience with autoclaving and sanitizing.
- Attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- High regard for safety
Essential Job Duties
Job Duty Category Barrier and General Cleaning Duty/Responsibility
- Provide barrier cleaning and sanitizing to assist researchers and staff.
- Clean general office, non-barrier areas such as bathroom, offices, hallways, public areas, etc.
Percentage Of Time 55% Essential Job Duties
Job Duty Category Supply Assessment Duty/Responsibility
- Stock locker rooms and laboratories with basic supplies and materials to assist researchers and staff.
Percentage Of Time 25% Essential Job Duties
Job Duty Category Sterilization Protocol Duty/Responsibility
- Sterilize hazardous waste out of Biocontainment barrier which includes steam sterilization.
Percentage Of Time 15% Essential Job Duties
Job Duty Category Safety and Process/Procedure Communication Duty/Responsibility
- Communicate with researchers, IDRC staff, and management using verbal communication.
- Train other workers, researchers, and staff.
- Observe and make corrective actions of policies and procedures based upon changes.
Percentage Of Time 5% Application Details
Special Instructions to Applicants
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS AND INFORMATION
- Clearly document job duties you have performed that relate to minimum qualifications, preferred qualifications, and essential job duties in the Work Experience section on the application. Human Resources must be able to evaluate your experience based on this information.
- Clearly outline dates of employment and hours worked per week for each employment experience listed in the Work Experience section of the Application so that Human Resources can calculate full-time work experience.
- The APPLICATION is the only document that will be utilized to determine if minimum qualifications, as outlined in the job posting, have been met. The Application is considered to be the legal document on file; resumes will not be reviewed for minimum qualification requirements.
- If an Application is considered “Incomplete”, the Application will be removed from consideration for the position.
- An Application is incomplete if no current/ previous employment is included in the Work Experience section of the Application.
- An Application is incomplete if “see resume” (or something similar) is noted, or previous employment does not contain job duties for every position in the Work Experience section of the Application.
- Positions requiring a degree or if using education as a substitution for work experience (eg: Associate or Bachelor’s) transcripts are required in order to verify receipt of the required degree or coursework. If official or unofficial transcripts are not supplied at the time of application, the Application is incomplete.
- When a resume is listed as a required document, it may be used in the comparative analysis/ evaluation process to determine the candidates that most closely meet the qualifications of the position. This process occurs after an application has passed the minimum qualifications screening.
- Resumes will not be accepted in place of a completed application; however, some positions may still require a resume as a component for complete application materials.
**Please see the Required Documents section of the posting.
- The selection process for State Classified positions may include an exam(s), which requires candidates to physically appear (at the CSU campus in Fort Collins, CO) at the candidates’ own expense.
- All status updates for this position will be sent via email from email@example.com. In addition to your Inbox, remember to check the Deleted and Junk folders for these important communications.
- Pertinent updates to your Application status can be obtained by logging into your application account at https://jobs.colostate.edu
DEPARTMENT CONTACT INFORMATION
- Please check the Help link online at https://jobs.colostate.edu/help/ for assistance on your application or for answers to Frequently Asked Questions.
- All other inquiries should be directed to the Colorado State University Human Resources Office HR_Employment@mail.colostate.edu.
Conditions of Employment Pre-employment Criminal Background Check (required for new hires), Pre-employment Physical - must be willing and able to pass Unit 9 Fit Test. , On-call Status, Use, Handling, or Exposure to hazardous materials, Special Requirements/Other - must be willing and able to pass Federal Security Clearance. Must be willing and able to pass required trainings, specific to safety and position duties.Yellow Fever vaccination and TB (tuberculosis) test required. EEO Statement
Colorado State University is committed to providing an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based on race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy and will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Colorado State University is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and Colorado State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. The Office of Equal Opportunity is located in 101 Student Services.
Background Check Policy Statement
Colorado State University (CSU) strives to provide a safe study, work, and living environment for its faculty, staff, volunteers and students. To support this environment and comply with applicable laws and regulations, CSU conducts background checks. The type of background check conducted varies by position and can include, but is not limited to, criminal (felony and misdemeanor) history, sex offender registry, motor vehicle history, financial history, and/or education verification. Background checks will be conducted when required by law or contract and when, in the discretion of the university, it is reasonable and prudent to do so.