Associate Professor in Form
7 days left
- Full Time
The Faculty of architecture and design wishes to appoint an architect, designer or artist with extensive experience in three-dimensional form practice and theory. She or he is expected to contribute with relevant expertise to the development of teaching and research on three-dimensional form, form semantics and aesthetics at NTNU in close co-operation with faculty staff members, in particular at the Form group located in the Department of Architecture and Technology. Experience in education and creative practice at an international level are an advantage.
The position is administratively connected to the Department of Architecture and Technology at the Faculty of Architecture and Design, NTNU. The Department of Architecture and Technology (IAT) has a mission to develop holistic and sustainable architecture of the highest quality through education, design practice and research through special expertise in four main areas
- Building materials and construction technology
- Energy and environmentally responsible buildings
- Transformation – the preservation and development of existing built structure
- Form- the contextual understanding of architecture through history, theory, learning and communication.
The advertised position will be part of the department’s Form group which has a focus on the aspects of architectural practice and contemporary theory that are a prerequisite for understanding, interpreting and communicating today's architecture and our built environment. There is a particular emphasis on identifying and explaining the social, ideological, technical and aesthetic assumptions that influence building design and built environments combined with active development of transformative learning in all aspects of the design process and its communication.
We are looking for a practitioner with high level skills in three-dimensional form, form semantics and aesthetics. The position's area of work spans from a focus on teaching basic three-dimensional form practice in the early phase of architectural education to the development and exploration of a coherent form grammar that fuses historical, modernist and contemporary understandings of the concepts of form and extending this into innovative exploratory techniques in the conceptual development process and the production and communication of architectural ideas.
Central to this is the ability to think and act through three-dimensional form in both analytic and communicative modes, spanning from iteration and exploration through practical experimentation to the physical and conceptual forming of materials and space across a range of scales with both traditional and new technologies.
The background competence of the applicant may be from the fine arts, the applied arts, landscape and architecture or a combination of these. It is important that the appointee can through both theory and practice extend the relevance of a formal and theoretical form/space discourse within the field of architectural design. To fulfil this aim experience at the interface between fine art, design and architecture will be an advantage.
The main teaching responsibility will be as part of a team responsible for the Form and Colour 1 and 2; components of the first four semesters of the architectural studies at the faculty. Teaching and research areas will include a major focus on two- and three-dimensional compositional studies as a core methodology for developing understanding and idea-generation in connection to architectural design and design thinking.
The candidate will be expected to be the key knowledge provider in relation to all form issues and work closely with the other team leaders in developing and evolving the understanding of form as an integrated component in the study flow. Currently form and colour is run as blocked modules in specific weeks during the semester and integrated with collaboration into the architecture 1st - 4th semesters. The candidate will also be expected to be available to make some educational contribution to both the design and fine art studies located at other departments within the faculty.
The associate professor is expected to;
- Have co-planning and implementation responsibility for courses in form
- Supervise masters-level students and doctoral candidates
- Develop scientific and/or artistic research and innovation activities in cooperation with practice and other academic institutions at national and international level
- Contribute to the activities and development of the Form group
- Participate in administrative work, tasks and duties.
- Participate in exchange of knowledge and communication with the external environment
The successful candidate is expected to have broad experience from practice and scientific expertise from one or more parts of the discipline. Professional qualifications within important fields of the discipline must be documented.
- Higher degree and substantial architectural/artistic/design practice relevant for the position
- Pedagogic qualification, experience and skills
- Ability, capacity and experience to conduct research projects, innovation and development initiatives in architecture and/or art and/or design
- a broad understanding of form in practical and theoretical contexts
- proven ability to supervise master’s and doctoral students
- documented scientific competence and/or comprehensive practice from relevant fields
- Skills to develop the discipline both pedagogically and academically
- language skills both written and oral with regards to English
- A broad, professional academic network. International contacts and experience are desirable.
Personal skills that will be emphasized;
- Capability and motivation for interdisciplinary collaboration
- Ability and will to work for development and change
- Ability to work both independently and co-operatively
- Ability and motivation to contribute to a good culture and working environment
Research and development practice of the discipline is emphasized. The candidate must be able to document her/his extensive disciplinary qualifications in important fields within the discipline.
The application should contain:
- A cover letter describing the motivation of the candidate including ideas and plans for development in the field of the position on education and research
- A brief description of the relevance of the candidate’s production and research. Documentation presenting and describing the most important works relevant for the position in the form of a portfolio of works, exhibitions and relevant design projects, documentation collated in Pdf format.
- Information about educational experience, including teaching experience, development of study programs and development of teaching methods and the learning environment.
- Information about dissemination, outreach and collaboration with external stakeholders and public institutions.
- CV including information pertaining to the given qualifications and a full list of published and exhibited works with information on where they have been published. Joint works will also be considered. If it is difficult to identify the applicant’s contribution to joint -works, the applicant must include a brief description
- Certified copies of testimonials and certificates.
Further details about the position can be obtained from Professor Alex Booker, phone (+47) 73 59 50 04 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Associate professor Nina Eide Holtan, phone (99444320) or e-mail (email@example.com)
Terms of employment
The position as Associate professor is registered as code 1011 and paid in accordance with the Norwegian state salary scale. There will be a 2% contribution to the Norwegian Pension Fund from the gross salary. As a member of the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund you are offered:
- A good pension for life
- A favourable housing loan interest
- Good insurance schemes
It is a prerequisite that the person appointed resides in a location in or near Trondheim, enabling him or her to be present at and available to the institution.
Academic staff who are employed without having a formal pedagogical qualification in university-level teaching and are unable to document equivalent qualifications, are required to successfully complete recognized course that gives a pedagogical qualification in university- level teaching within two years of taking the appointment. The University offers such courses. (” Documentation of an applicant’s pedagogical qualifications”) which can be obtained from the following address: http://www.ntnu.edu/vacancies/pedagogical-qualifications
It is a prerequisite that within three years of appointment, new employees who do not speak a Scandinavian language can demonstrate skills in Norwegian or another Scandinavian language equivalent to Level 3 in the course in Norwegian for speakers of other languages at the Department of Language and Communication Studies. The University offers such courses.
The appointment is subject to the conditions in effect at any time for employees in the public sector.
The person appointed must accept any changes in the field of work, such as: changes due to developments in the subject area, the organizational changes that may result from decisions regarding the department’s and the university's activities and change due to the future development of the study programs.
A good work environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified candidates to apply regardless of gender, functional ability or cultural background.
The application, with all attachments, must be submitted electronically through this page and marked with reference number AD - 18/7286 within 30.06.2018
Under the new Freedom of Information Act, information about the applicant may be made public even if the applicant has requested not to have his or her name entered on the list of applicants
ABOUT THIS JOB
- Deadline Saturday, June 30, 2018
- Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
- Municipality Trondheim
- Place of service Institutt for arkitektur og teknologi
- Jobbnorge ID 153984
- Internal ID 2018/7286
- Scope Fulltime
- Duration Permanent
- Applications on this job are registered in an electronic form on jobbnorge.no
- You must complete: Academic CV
- Please refer to where you first saw this job advertised!