Postdoctoral Position in Big Data, NLP and Machine Learning
The Faculty of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering (http://www.ntnu.edu/ie) at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) has a vacancy for one postdoctoral position at the Department of Computer Science (http://www.ntnu.edu/idi). The postdoctoral position is for a term of 2 years.
Information about the department
The Department of Computer Science (IDI, www.idi.ntnu.edu) employs around 30 professors, 53 associate/assistant professors, 21 adjunct professors, approximately 112 PhD students and post-doctoral/ researchers, and 24 technical/administrative staff.
Research activities are organized into groups and strategic European and National projects as documented here http://www.ntnu.edu/idi/research. One of the PhD candidates will be affiliated with the Data and Information Management Group (http://www.ntnu.edu/idi/groups/dart), whereas the other PhD candidate and the postdoc will be affiliated with the Information Systems and Software Engineering Group (https://www.ntnu.edu/idi/groups/isse). Further information can be found at the department’s and the group’s web pages.
As part of their strategic partnership, DNB and NTNU are funding 1 postdoc and 3 PhD positions in a joint R&I project focusing on research in Big Data analytics and machine learning. With this project, the two parties will create an attractive environment for education, research and innovation, executed in close collaboration with the ongoing research and innovation efforts at the Telenor-NTNU AI-Lab.
By responding to this announcement, you may become part of Norway’s strongest research community within the field of Artificial Intelligence, Big Data analytics and IoT. The Project’s activities will demonstrate how these technologies can be applied to solve business challenges within the banking and finance sector in particular, as well as for society in general.
The project effort involves technologies and architectures for dealing with large-scale realtime data processing, as well as the use of machine learning to uncover hidden knowledge in data and build intelligent banking applications. The intention is that the Project will increase the general capacity and quality of Big Data & Artificial Intelligence education and research in Norway and encourage the use of this technology in the banking and finance sector.
The postdoc position will address challenges of extracting knowledge from financial text. Within the tradition of distributional semantics, machine learning has recently been used to construct word embeddings that may give us deeper insight into the content of unstructured data. Even though there are fundamental challenges with both the quality of word embeddings and the scalability of the techniques, the approach has shown promising results in AI-driven text mining and classification.
The postdoc will address challenges of and develop new AI-driven techniques for financial text analytics within one or several of the following topics:
- Knowledge extraction and classification with word embeddings and machine learning
- Deep learning techniques for sentiment analysis and topic modeling
- Multi-document summarization and conversational systems
Relevant background: A solid background in natural language processing or text analytics is essential, and good programming skills are required. Experience with NLP techniques like POS tagging, sentiment analysis, or summarization is useful, and a solid understanding of machine learning, linked data and information retrieval is assumed.
A PhD degree in Computer and Information Science or equivalent is necessary, as well as a strong publication record. Experience with international research projects and financial applications is preferable for all positions.
Applicants who do not master a Scandinavian language must provide evidence of good English language skills, written and spoken. The following tests can be used as such documentation: TOEFL, IELTS or Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) or Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE). Minimum scores are:
- TOEFL: 600 (paper-based test), 92 (Internet-based test),
- IELTS: 6.5, with no section lower than 5.5 (only Academic IELTS test accepted),
- CAE/CPE: grade B or A.
In extraordinary circumstances, formal documentation of language skills can be relinquished. In such cases, the candidate’s language skills will be assessed in a personal interview.
The position is in code 1352 Post doctor, salary grade range from 57 – 72 in the Norwegian State salary scale, gross NOK 490,500 – 649 800 per year (before tax), depending on qualifications.
We can offer
- an informal and friendly workplace with dedicated colleagues
- academic challenges
- attractive schemes for housing loan, insurance and pensions in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
The Faculty of Information Technology, Mathematics and Electrical Engineering wants to attract outstanding and creative candidates who can contribute to our ongoing research activities. We believe that diversity is important to achieve a good, inclusive working environment. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply, regardless of the gender, disability or cultural background. The appointment is subject to the conditions in effect at any time for employees in the public sector.
Under Section 25 of the Freedom of Information Act, information about the applicant may be made public even if the applicant has requested not to have his or her name entered on the list of applicants. The application must contain
- Curriculum vitae (CV) with information about the candidate’s prior training, exams, and work experience
- Certified copies of transcripts and diplomas
- Applicants from universities outside Norway are kindly requested to send a diploma supplement or a similar document, which describes in detail the study and grading system and the rights for further studies associated with the obtained degree
- A Statement of Purpose. Postdoc applicants must include a short presentation of the motivation for the position and how they see their background as suitable. They must address the research challenges within the area of the position and discuss how their competence can contribute to solving these challenges. (2 pages)
- At least 2 reference personsIncomplete applications will not be taken into consideration.
The application must be sent electronically as one combined PDF file via this page (Jobbnorge.no).
For further information about the post-doctoral position please contact Professor Jon Atle Gulla, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, or the Head of the Department Professor John Krogstie, email: email@example.com.
For information about the processing of the application, please contact Senior Executive Officer Anne Kristin Bratseth, phone +47 73 59 67 15, e- mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mark the application IE: 130-2018
Deadline for application: 2018-08-15
ABOUT THIS JOB
- Deadline Wednesday, August 15, 2018
- Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
- Municipality Trondheim
- Place of service Trondheim
- Jobbnorge ID 154072
- Internal ID 2018-17290
- Scope Fulltime
- Duration Temporary
- Applications on this job are registered in an electronic form on jobbnorge.no
- You must complete: Standard CV
- Please refer to where you first saw this job advertised!