Professor/Chair of Chemistry
Khalifa University is an independent, non-profit coeducational institution, dedicated to the advancement of learning through teaching and research, and discovery and application of knowledge. It pursues international recognition as a world-class research intensive university, with a strong reputation for interdisciplinary teaching and research.
The University is actively developing an international network of partners and innovative research programs to advance regionally relevant research and innovation in the UAE and the Gulf region at large.
The Department of Chemistry is an academic unit within the College of Science. The department is responsible for teaching chemistry to students majoring in Engineering disciplines as well as a new BSc in Chemistry in the College of Science expected to come on stream in Fall 2018.
In brief, you will be expected to:
- Draw up department plans and procedures including also plans for their effective implementation.
- Ensure continuity of long‐term planning and operational execution in educational, research, and administrative activities for academic programs.
- Direct and guide the Department of Chemistry towards excellence in teaching and research in collaboration with Departmental, College and University colleagues.
- Exercise financial authority as per the level established by Khalifa University’s policies and procedures.
Academic Programs and Policies
- Work with the Dean, College of Science, to plan, develop, implement, assess and improve all academic policies for the Department of Chemistry ensuring their alignment to the University’s Vision and Mission.
- Ensure delivery of service teaching in Chemistry to programs in the Colleges of Engineering and Science.
- Develop and deliver new undergraduate and graduate programs in the field of Chemistry.
- Lead curriculum development for the department along with accreditation guidelines; work with faculty to establish learning objectives and outcomes; oversee assessment and ongoing curricular revisions based on assessment outcomes. Build up activity in the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning in Chemistry.
- with the Dean, College of Science, to develop a research plan consistent with National and University Research Priorities in order to contribute to the overall research plan of the College of Science.
- Provide leadership in research relevant to the Department of Chemistry.
Administrative & People Management
- Manage faculty and staff by clarifying job expectations; planning, monitoring, and appraising performance; coach, counsel and actively participate in departmental employees’ selection, induction, mentoring and professional development.
- Schedule and assign faculty workload allowing for an appropriate and differentiated mix of teaching, research, scholarship, and service.
- Actively work with other Heads of department on the College Council to support leadership of the College of Science.
- In consultation with the Dean of College of Science, actively work with the Office of Human Resources to secure the best possible faculty and staff.
- Prepare an annual budget for the Department of Chemistry ensuring that adequate provision is made for all activities and administer the approved budget.
- Communicate the College’s / University's strategic goals and new policy developments to employees of the department.
- Recommend promotions, salary adjustments and other personnel actions to the Dean of College of Science.
- Provide information or prepare reports as and when required.
- Perform other similar or related duties as and when assigned by the Dean, College of Science.
- Earned PhD in Chemistry or equivalent discipline from an accredited institution. Preference will be given to candidates with education from pre‐eminent institutions of higher education.
- Minimum of 12 years teaching and postgraduate research experience of which at least 5 years should be at the level of Professor. 5 years should have been in scholarly activity and research and a record of leadership showing interpersonal skills and organizational ability, strong research background and funding records with recognized professional accomplishments in Chemistry, and a commitment to excellence in teaching at both undergraduate and graduate levels are required.
- Excellent spoken and written English language.
- Very good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Must possess required computer knowledge and abilities required to perform the job effectively.
How To Apply
you will be required to attach the following:
- Passport-size photograph.