Laboratory Technician, Gas Research Centre
The newly-established Khalifa University of Science and Technology combines The Masdar Institute of Science and Technology, Khalifa University of Science, Technology and Research and The Petroleum Institute into one world-class, research-intensive institution, seamlessly integrating research and education to produce world leaders and critical thinkers in applied science and engineering. Khalifa University of Science and Technology endeavors to be a leader among research intensive universities of the 21st century, while catalyzing the growth of Abu Dhabi and the UAE’s rapidly developing knowledge economy.
GRC has an opening for a Laboratory Technician position in the Separations Laboratory. Technical skills include design and construction of membrane separation setups for gas and vapor mixture separation, and synthesis, characterization, and performance evaluation of membranes. The successful candidate should be proficient in experimental methods, procedures, techniques and equipment used in gas and vapor separation laboratories. It is imperative that the candidate has keen interest to perform complicated experiments him/herself.
A key prerequisite of the successful candidate is a strong will to learn new skills and abilities
Other preferred capacities include skills in constructing experimental setups and apparatuses, working with control software and skills with electrical, electronic and mechanical equipment in general. As it is a collaborative project, strong interpersonal skills are important; and it is key to be a team player. Also the willingness and ability to travel to the partner Institution of the project in Europe is crucial.
- Design, construct, test, and operate a membrane separation unit for gas and vapor mixtures.
- Synthesize, characterize, and test gas separation membranes, as per the objectives of the project.
- Contact vendors and initiate ordering procedures for materials/consumable/equipment.
- Develop, maintain, monitor, execute and coordinate day-to-day lab operations.
- Ensure completion of installation and validation of new and upgraded test instruments and maintain record and documentation on relevant procedures.
- Perform the day-to-day demand and preventative maintenance and problem solving of test instruments.
- Provide technical support for the purchase of laboratory equipment and software
- Monitor and maintain an organized, clean and safe working environment in labs and ensure compliance with work related legal, health and safety standards
- Support in budget preparation by highlighting resource requirement
- Evaluate bids for technical acceptability of laboratory equipment and chemicals
Candidates with a Bachelors and/or Master’s degree in materials science, chemical engineering or a closely-related field are preferred. The successful candidate must have strong oral and written communication skills in English
How To Apply
You will be required to attach the following:
- Passport-size photograph
- Teaching and Research Statement