General Counsel, Presidents Office
Khalifa University of Science and Technology
The newly-established Khalifa University of Science and Technology combines The Masdar Institute of Science and Technology, Khalifa University of Science, Technology and Research and The Petroleum Institute into one world-class, research-intensive institution, seamlessly integrating research and education to produce world leaders and critical thinkers in applied science and engineering. Khalifa University of Science and Technology endeavors to be a leader among research intensive universities of the 21st century, while catalyzing the growth of Abu Dhabi and the UAE’s rapidly developing knowledge economy.
The General Counsel’s function is to provide, manage and coordinate quality legal services including legal counsel and representation, litigation and legal risk management, contract drafting and review, compliance oversight and other services and counsel to all parts of the University.
To provide counsel in decision-making to the Board of Trustees, the President, Vice Presidents, Deans and Directors, faculty, supervisors and other employees acting in their capacity as employees. The general Counsel provides advice on the legal implications of policy and other decisions under applicable law, regulations, and policies, in addition to representing the University in litigation matters, administrative and regulatory hearings, and significant business transactions. It is the goal of the OGC to provide counsel to minimize legal risk and costs, reduce litigation exposure, and ensure legal compliance, and to do so efficiently, expeditiously, reliably and professionally.
- Exercises management responsibility over University legal affairs; advises administration on the legality of contemplated actions.
- Provides counsel in decision-making to the Board of Trustees, the President, Provost, Vice Presidents, Deans and Directors, faculty, supervisors and other employees on matters involving legal interpretation and decisions related to University activities, policy questions and operating problems.
- Receives and investigate inquiries and complaints including, but not limited to, matters relating to law, labor law, insurance, risk management, patents and copyrights, delinquent fees, contracts and University policies.
- Drafts and review agreements, leases, rentals, purchases, contracts, and instruments effecting transfers of property, and all other legal documents or instruments, as needed or requested.
- Coordinates activities and actions with outside counsel retained to represent the University.
- Provides liaison with other governmental entities in the area of legal affairs.
- Serves on University committees to provide recommendations regarding applicable legal matters. Recommend operational changes necessitated by legislative mandates; develop alternative policies and procedures to enable the University to accomplish its objectives.
- Coordinates, through accountable management personnel, the establishment of major schedules, task assignments and allocation of staff and equipment to aid and foster University legal activities.
- Directs various personnel functions including, but not limited to, hiring, performance appraisals, salary recommendations, promotions, transfers and vacation schedules.
- Performs other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
- Bachelor’s degree in law from an accredited college or university
- Demonstrated minimum of 10 years of successful experience as an attorney in the practice of law, experience in higher education law strongly preferred.
- Fluency in English and Arabic, written and spoken.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Proficient in MS Office applications
- Must possess required computer knowledge and abilities required to perform the job effectively.
How To Apply
Note: You will be required to attach the following: 1. Resume/CV 2. Passport-size photograph