Postdoctoral Fellow in Robotics
The newly-established Khalifa University of Science and Technology combines The Masdar Institute of Science and Technology, Khalifa University of Science, Technology and Research and The Petroleum Institute into one world-class, research-intensive institution, seamlessly integrating research and education to produce world leaders and critical thinkers in applied science and engineering. Khalifa University of Science and Technology endeavors to be a leader among research intensive universities of the 21st century, while catalyzing the growth of Abu Dhabi and the UAE’s rapidly developing knowledge economy.
To conduct research and development into high rise building fire fighting drones. To support related research, development and educational activities at the Robotics Institute.
- Design and implement innovative payload solutions for UAV systems to be employed for firefighting in high rise buildings.
- Development of novel algorithms to achieve robust and agile high altitude control of unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) in the presence of external disturbances
- Designing, planning and conducting real-world experiments
- Develop practical high performance UAV systems that can operate in extreme and challenging environments (e.g. fire fighting)
- Publish research findings in highly ranked journals and conferences
- Engage with external stakeholder(s) sponsoring research on a regular basis to disseminate results and receive end user feedback
- PhD in Engineering or closely related discipline
- Proven engineering and analytical skills in robotics and a strong publication track-record commensurate for career stage.
Experience in some of the aspects listed below:
- Developing and deploying advanced disturbance rejection algorithms on UAVs.
- Knowledge of UAV modelling and control, forward/inverse kinematics and dynamics, spatial transformations, trajectory design and path planning
- Knowledge of behavior-based control, navigation, path-planning, obstacle avoidance, estimation and control, and sensor fusion
- Engineering background with hands-on experience
- Ability to design, build, fabricate and implement electronic and mechanical components in UAVs for research and test purposes
- Ability to develop and deploy algorithms using C or C++ on onboard computers and embedded platforms
- Experience with various drone autopilots and protocols (e.g. PX4, ArduPilot, DJI SDK, Mavlink, Mavros)
- Programming skills in (C++, C, Python, Matlab)
- Experience in ROS and its development environment
- Experience with optical tracking systems (e.g., OptiTrack, Vicon, Qualisys, etc.)
- Strong analytical skills and mathematical foundation
- Ability to design and conduct experiments.
- Experience with Linux software
- Knowledge scientific computing, machine learning and deep learning
- Experience with RTK/DGPS systems
How To Apply
You will be required to attach the following:
- Passport-size photograph